23.

Sohee

"Mom, I really need you to tell me about Kihyun."

It was another marathon Tuesday, my parents were back from their short vacation, which meant my father was back into his chaotic office to work while mother was sitting in front of the TV as I bothered her with endless questions.

"Kihyun's your friend, honey. I don't think I know him more than you do."
She casually munched on the rice crackers as I scoffed, folding my arms in disappointment.

"Listen, mom." I tried grabbing her attention again from the housewives drama she was engrossed in, "I know he's a friend of mine, but isn't it weird that he NEVER showed up in any of my photos? at all? I literally had nothing to show of his existence rather than our usual meetings and memory."

"Maybe he just doesn't like his photo taken, it's quite normal." I couldn't help but glare and surely, she noticed. Taking a deep breath, she answered, "From how I recall, you first introduced Kihyun to me after that summer camp you had in Japan, you were in 6th grade or something."

"Yes, yes, I remember. But how did I introduce him to you? He didn't return to Korea until this year."

"Hm." My mother tapped her finger against the chin as she thought of my question, "I think you were calling me through the guide's phone after your activities were done. You said you met a very nice friend, almost as nice as Hyungwon and Wonho."

"Oh." My smile faltered a bit before shaking my head, "But that's it? Nothing else? So, you've only met him in real life this year?"

"Wait, I didn't think you mentioned Kihyun's name, though."

"I didn't?" My eyebrows furrowed as she innocently nodded, "Then how do you know it's Kihyun?"

"Well," her eyes were fully on me this time as her body turned towards me a bit, "When Kihyun first arrived at the hospital, he told your father and I that he was the pen pal of yours from Japan, the one you met from summer camp. So, of course we welcomed him and to sum it up, yes, we first met him that day."

My lips parted, hands falling to the side as I stared emptily at my mother, "W-we- he and I were pen pals?"

"Yeah, pen pals- you know, you wrote him a letter every year and he wrote you back."

The letters?

"I know the definition of pen pals. B-but mom-"

Ding! dong!

Both our heads were turned to the direction of the door, frozen for a moment before I decided to stand up.

"Are we expecting someone?" She asked curiously and finally noticed my appearance, "You dressed up, are you going somewhere?"

I looked briefly at my phone before confirming my guess on who might be at the door. "Yeah, I'm going for a walk with Hyungwon."

"Oh," she smiled warmly, "Then what are you waiting for? Open the door, he must be freezing outside."

I kissed her on the cheeks and said, "I'll get going now, thank you for earlier."

"Have fun and say my greetings to Hyungwon."

With that, I lightly ran towards the door with my crossbody diagonally hanging off of my left shoulder and a mid length coat to keep me warm from the night breeze. As I opened the door, I couldn't see anything because-