Chapter 9

I put my head on Gus's shoulder and closed my eyes. He was still holding Emily's hand. He put his arm around me and took a deep breath. I could tell that he was worried. I could tell that he was scared. I fell into a deep sleep. A few hours went by and I woke up. My head was still on Gus's shoulder and he still had his arm around me. I raised my head up a little bit and saw that he was asleep. Emily was still asleep and he still had her hand in his warm hand. I raised my head up all the way and stood up. I must have woke Augustus up because he started to scratch his arm. He opened his eyes and saw that I was not next to him. He looked aroun with a worried look on his face. Then he saw me. I was looking through my purse to try to find the car keys. "Hazel Grace, what are you looking for?" Augustus asked as he rubbed his eyes. "I'm trying to find the car keys. Do you have them?" I asked him. "Why do you need them?" He asked with his crooked smile. I turned around to look at him. "I was going to go back to the house and pick up some of Emily's things like her teddy bear, her 'My Little Pony' blanket, and tuff like that since we don't know how long she's staying here." Augustus checked his pockets and found the keys. He trew them to me and I caught them. "I will be back. If she wakes up while I'm gone, call me. I love you." I said to Gus and gave him a kiss on the lips. "I love you, too. Drive safe." Then he gave me a kiss on the cheek. "I will." I said as I was walking away. I got out of the hostpital and walked to the car. I opened the door and got in. I started the car and drove out of the parking lot.