Chapter 17: The Meet-and-Greet

"Who's gonna be introducing me?" Directing my question towards the manager.

"Me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maddie's POV

"This can't be happening Chris. It can't be." I muffled under my hands as I put them on my face. "It can't be that bad. He's just gonna say your name, you're gonna come out, they're gonna cheer. And so on." he shrugged.

"You don't get it Chris." I said looking at him. "I don't have a problem with him introducing me. Its hard being on stage with your ex boyfriend." He pursed his lips. "I didn't know it bothered you that much." "Well it does." I responded quickly after. "I thought maybe you were over him." I could see the hurt in his eyes.

"Why does it matter?"

"It doesn't matter," he said putting both hands behind his head. "I guess I'll ask the manager to change it up." he turned around and started walking back to the office. "Chris?" I blurted out. He turned around. "Yeeeep?" I sighed. "What's bothering you?"

"Why would you think something's bothering me?" he laughed very slightly. I raised an eyebrow which made him stop "smiling". "I'm serious, Chris."

He sighed. "Nothing," he shrugged. "I just miss Emily." I pursed my lips and nodded. He turned back around and left me sitting on a bench surrounded by people walking back and forth. For some reason, I felt alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris's POV

"ARE YOU GUYS READYYYYYYY?!"

The guys and I were standing behind the curtain, waiting for our queue to go onto stage. "So do you guys do this thing before going on stage or what?" I asked.

"Yeah, we spit in each others mouth." Jack J. said as he revealed spit from his mouth. I narrowed my eyes. "Bro I'm just shitting with you!" he said, slapping my chest. "We're pretty basic, actually." Cameron said. "Just put your hand in. On the count of three, scream out MAGCON!"

I nodded. "Easy enough." Everyone got in a circle and put their hand in the middle. Cameron started the counting. "ONE, TWO, THREE" and everybody shouted "MAGCON!"

"Ready Maddie?" I turned around. I looked left, I looked right. "Dude where's Maddie?' I said to the boys. "Matt is gone too." Nash said. Shit. "Well somebody better find them in 2 minutes because we're about to go on."

I gave Aaron a straight face. "We're in the center of a huge hallway surrounded by bodyguards and security. Where on earth could they go?" I said with dry sarcasm. Not caring about his response, I ran through the area of the circlular "backstage."

"MADDIE? MATT?" I screamed. "Bro you should really try their pretzels." I turned around. "MATT!" I freaked out. "G-G-Get your ass with the rest!"

He ran to the group. I was going to be introduced about 2 minutes after. That's how long I had to find Maddie. "Maddie!" Fuck. "Maddie. Please come out.." I sighed.

"GIVE IT UP FOR THE MAAAAGCON BOYYYYZ!" And with that, the whole mall shook in screams. I hit the box that was next to me and screamed.

"...... Chris." I turned around once again. "Shit Mads don't scare me like that!" I hugged her. "I thought something happened to you." I said letting her go. "I guess you could say that."

"What happened?" I felt like I was at one of Linda's parties, having to scream to get my words out. "I'll tell you later! You gotta get up there in a sec!" She grabbed my hand and pulled me until we got next to the opening. "You ready?" I asked her. She nodded. "More than ready for the shit I'm going to get from the media." I laughed. I hugged her, tight. She hesitated for a second but then returned it. She rested her head on my shoulder. I could feel the grin appearing on her face.

"I love you, Maddie." Shit. It slipped. She stopped hugging me. "What'd you say? I can't hear you over all this screaming!" I shook my head and mouthed 'nothing!' She nodded.

Maddie's POV

I heard what he said clearly. Probably too clearly. I pretended not to hear it. WHY. "What'd you say? I can't hear you over all this screaming!" He just shook his head and mouth 'nothing!'.

"We have special guests here with us today." Jack J. said, making the crowd scream. "That's my queue." Chris yelled. I nodded and gave him a thumbs up. "Give it up for your fellow Canadian Chris Collins and fellow American Brent Rivera!"

Brent? I didn't see him. I looked around. Chris was already on stage. What? Oh, nevermind. He came through the other side. Gosh, it's so loud in the mall right now, it's just echoing back in my ear, and it hurts. "Hia Maddie!" I startled and turned around. "Oh god." i said slightly panting. "Hi.. Crawford."

"I was asked to see if you were alright to go on stage." he smiled. "It's not like I'm going to meet Michael Jackson or anything. It's not that serious. I'm probably just gonna stand there."

"Just stand there and watch where that'll getcha." crawford smirked. I hit his chest. "They asked you to see if I was alright not to act like a dick." we both started laughing. "So you're not going to be in this MAG?" i asked.

"A what?" he said with with a confused face. "i say MAG because saying meet-and-greet is just too much." He nodded his head once, and then shook it. "Didn't feel like being in this one. I'm tired." I nodded.

"There's one more person we have to introduce to you guys." Brent said into the microphone. Of course, people started screaming again. He handed the microphone to Chris. "This girl is probably the best girl I've met in my life, besides my mom." he laughed.

"Ready?" Crawford pushed me. I smiled at him and nodded.

"Give a hand for Emily Anderson!"

My heart dropped. What? Everyone started clapping. "Wait, wait! Guys! No!" Chris said into the microphone, making everyone hush. I wanted to leave and start crying, but hey. Gotta put on a show no matter what right? Chris sighed. "She's probably gonna kick my butt for this after, but give a hand for the lovely Maddie Larsen!"

I walked out in my heels and thought of Madagascar. Yeah it's funny. But that's where I learned to 'smile and wave.'

Wow, they were actually cheering for me. Surprising. Chris gave me the mic and mouthed 'I'm so sorry!'. I rolled my eyes and took it. "You're right Chris, I am going to kick your butt." I don't even know why they started cheering, gullible teens.

"MADDIE! MADDIE! MADDIE!" Oh my gosh.. they were.. screaming my name! I smiled wide. I felt a connection with the crowd so I blurted out whatever came out of my mouth. "You guys ready to get this day started?!"

Because I certainly am.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sooo uh it's 6:10 AM rn in Minnesota and I'm really tired . BUT . I stayed up because I know some people are dyingggg to read another chapter.

I'm really thankful for that. Love yall so much ;*

Insta: @layx2armani