Chapter 18: Hopefully

J I A

"Got to go, i have to meet El today."

"Sorry, got plans with El."

"I can't. Im busy with school eh."

"Ay, i have a long quiz tomorrow. I need to study."

"Kayo nalang muna, guys. Enjoy the night."

"Sorry talaga."

These were the excuses of Mich everytime the team is planning to take the night out, have fun, have meals together and stuff. Well, mostly, pag ako ang nagyayaya.

I don't know her exact reasons but then one night, middle of the night, actually..

I was going to CR when i heard someone was talking behind the stairs.

"So you're really not talking to her?"

"Really? Why won't the two of you just drop this?"

"Cos we think you're out of your mind. Now, what? Still no talking with her?"

"Who?"

"Oh come on, you know who."

"I really have no idea on what you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me, Kathereen. You're a PolSci student, you're smart. But when it comes to heart.."

Si Mich? Ate Den? What are they talking about?

"Nganga? HAHAHA."

"Oh, ano na nga?"

"As i've said the last time, i want one thing from her that's why ive been avoiding her. I mean, yeah, she my bestfriend, cos i have a feeling you're gonna say that --"

"Well, of course i do."

"I know, yes, she's my bestfriend but i think, its been too long na we've been in each others lives? I mean, i need to get out."

"You're calling the bestfriend thingy to quits?"

"NO! Like, i need time. Space. Yes, space. Its not like everytime we would always be there for each other --"

"Duh, you're bestfriends, that's what BFFs do. Unless, nagsasawa ka na?"

"Ate --"

Nagsasawa na siya sa akin?

Ayaw na niya sa akin?

I feel like i can't control my emotions anymore, i immediately run back to our room, crying.

------------------

M I C H

"Duh, you're bestfriends, that's what BFFs do. Unless, nagsasawa ka na?"

"Ate, never akong magsasawa, no."

"Then, why are you doing this?"

"Because i know, hanggang BFFs nga lang kami. Ayoko na ng label na yun. Gusto ko nang umalis sa label na yun kaya ako dumidistansya. I want her to see na, i love her not as bestfriend, but someone who truly loves her, like really, really love her."

"But you can start that with being a bestfriend to her."

"I can't. Im stuck with that label. For the past 8 years, i am THAT sa buhay niya. I need to get out. I need to escape."

"By getting away from her, avoiding her. Yeah, nice moves."

"No, you don't get me."

"Yes, i don't. Kasi, ang labo mo."

"Gusto ko na kapag nasabi ko sa kanya yung totoong feelings ko, hindi na ako yung bestfriend na constant companion niya, na magagawa ang lahat with her, cuddle with her, being sweet to her, saying i love you to her, cos im her freaking bestfriend. Not that. I want to start over. I want her to know na i can be that someone she needs, she'll love for the rest of her life because im that someone. Not her bestfriend, but that Michelle Morente. The Mich Morente everybody knows. Kaya i need time."

"Whatever, i still don't get you, you idiot."

"Im afraid i don't have a choice but to be one."

"But let's just hope na when that time comes, its not yet too late."

"Well, hopefully."