Chapter 13 Part 2

"No way! LeBron stats?! He is the best player in the league," Mason practically yelled.

"No no no, who has three rings? Oh that's right Stephen and he plays way better defense. And obviously the Warriors are the best offensive team in the league," I retaliated.

The Gang and I all went out to celebrate at dinner the next day after school after I informed them of the great news. Being that I dated a star athlete for three years, I picked up a couple things about basketball.

"Well excuse me, you become an NBA photographer and think you know everything," Aaron added laughing. I rolled my eyes and playfully punched him the shoulder.

"Yeah that is crazy, Iani. I mean I know your good but I didn't know you were that good," Lena remarked.

"Gee thanks," I answered sarcastically. I took a sip of my strawberry milkshake.

We all seemed to be avoiding the inevitable conversation about the fact that I would have to live 2,000 miles away from home. But I couldn't keep putting it off forever. I decided to talk to Aaron about it first after dinner.

The waitress came and dropped of the check.

I started to reach in my bag to pay for it but Aaron's hand held mine.

"I got it," he said. I shook my head dismissively.

"Listen, I'm about to be loaded, so I think I got it," I laughed placing 3 20's on the table. Aaron grabbed my money and shoved it back into my bag.

"Right, but as your boyfriend, I think I got it," he was closer to me know. His breath smelled like minty cinnamon.

"Okay, you two since you've got it we'll wait out in the car, c'mon Lena," Mason said.

"Fine, but don't come asking me for money when I become rich," I snorted, backing away. He rolled his eyes and waved the waitress over to pay. We got up out of the booth and headed out to his car. Mason and Lena waited patiently.

"Okay, so where we going now?" Lena questioned

"Uh, I think I'll just call it a night I am kinda tired," I lied.

Aaron dropped of Lena first and then Mason.

"I'm not really tired, I just wanted to talk to you," I told Aaron once we were finally alone.

"Yeah me too," he replied. We eventually pulled up to my house and just sat in the car in silence. I peered over at him subtly.

"Should we go inside?" I thought out loud

"Yeah," I nodded and got out of the car as he did too. I opened the door to my house and rushed upstairs. I took a seat on my bed as he sat down by my dresser.

"Okay," I started. He looked at me in the most sincere way.

"Oklahoma is far away. And I want this job more than ever. In a way, it feels like it's the least I could do for Zayden. He loved Russell Westbrook and I have the chance to meet him and more Oklahoma City Thunder players. But I don't want to leave you. We've started something here that I'm really looking forward to for the rest of my life and-" he cut me off

"Who said anything about you leaving me? I love you. You aren't going anywhere," he paused. "Well you are going somewhere but what I mean is I will come with you if you want me to," he smiled like a child. "You have made me the happiest person ever. Your personality is the best. I would be crazy to let you leave me," he began to walk towards and took a seat next to me on my bed.

I felt my tears coming. He was going to move 2,000 miles just to be with me.

"I love you, too," as the words left my mouth, I realized that was the first time I've said it back. He told me he loved me twice. And this is my first time saying it back.

He leaned forward and kissed me passionately. And I kissed back even more. We had a very messy make out session if I may, that is before we heard the door open.  I stopped in my tracks because I realized that only one person has the key to my house.

I told Aaron to put his shirt back on and hide in the closet. I walked fully clothed downstairs and made eye contact with my father.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. He looked rugged with his untied tie and his dirty work shoes. His hair looked unbelievablely sticky.

"What do you mean? I live here" he answered nonlochantly. I rolled my eyes and went into the fridge.

I grabbed a bottle of Powerade, reminding me of the offer I got as the Oklahoma City Thunder photographer. I decided not to tell him, as he probably wouldn't even care.

I heard footsteps coming from upstairs.

"Zayden?" I heard my father ask. I turned to see Aaron walking down from my room. I saw Aaron's facial expression change as he completely came down the stairs.

"Uh no, Dad, this is Aaron. Zayden died almost a year ago," I managed to tell him.

My father's face fell. He dropped his bag on the floor and took a seat at the table.

"Oh my God. Iani, I am so sorry. I had no idea," he said. His eyes looked soft. He only knew Zayden because he would catch us I my bed room watching movies and doing other stuff.

"Yeah no I'm fine. My boyfriend died and my dad didn't find out until almost a year later. Yeah, goes to show how much you were present in my life," I scoffed and ran upstairs to my room brushing past Aaron.

I heard both of them call my name but I didn't care. I didn't cry because I wasn't sad. I didn't think that it was fair for me to be sad. I got this fantastic offer and I'm sad because of daddy issues? It never bothered me before and I wasn't about to cry and let it bother me now.

I let my anger calm down to like a 4. Aaron came upstairs and asked me if I was ok.

"Yeah," he didn't seem to believe me. But I didn't care.

"So when are we going to start packing?" I asked, looking up at him. This was a new chapter in my life. And I couldn't wait to begin it with him.

"Whenever you want, Nani," he replied kissing my forehead.

**************

Hello👋

There is probably one or two more chapter left so brace yourself people.

Vote!!

Comment!!