Making things right

Fletch made his way to Abigail Tate's office. He wasn't quite sure how he'd managed to get himself into this 'fling' with Abigail. It just kind of happened - she instigated everything and he just went along with it. A small distraction from the massive chasm that had been left by Jac when she left.
Nothing was big enough to distract him though. Whilst she was away he used to often be found in her office, just sitting. More than once Frieda had caught him. She knew how he felt, anybody with eyes could see how he felt, ahow they felt about each other.
"Come on Fletch, it doesn't help to sit in here" she had said ushering him out on more than one occasion.
And then Jac returned, in incredible pain and asking to be part of Gaskell's trial. He'd heard the rumours about subjects dying and he really did try to persuade her not to do it. He thought he'd succeeded and then Abigail found him comforting Jac, holding her hand. He had stupidly jumped away and ran after Abigail. After that Jac told Frieda that she was going for the trial, she had nothing to lose.
God if she died because of this trial, it was his fault.
He knocked on Abigail's door and entered.
"Hi" he said "I need to talk to you"
"Is it about Jac?"
"Erm well actually erm..."
"Fletch surely you have worked in hospitals long enough to know that rumours and gossip move faster than your legs on the stairs"
He looked at her blankly
"I saw Roxanna. She told me"
"I'm sorry"
"Fletch, from the moment she came back I knew it was her that you wanted. It was written all over your face anytime you saw her or spoke about her. I'm a big girl Fletch. Go to her. It's fine"
"I wasn't lying you know when I said there was nothing going on between us"
"I know Fletch. You're a decent bloke"
"I don't feel very decent just at this moment"
"Fletch you can't help who you fall in love with. You've come straight to me. Stop worrying it's fine. Honestly it's fine"
He bid Abigail farewell and walked in a bit of a daze back to Darwin  Every emotion he had was invested in an obstinate, stubborn, beautiful, witty, queen of sarcasm.
"How is she?" Asked Frieda having seen him be summoned twice to see her.
"0k" Fletch said s little sheepishly and then grinned, unable to hold it in any longer
"Spill Fletcher" Frieda said
"Well, you know"
"Are you finally together"
"Well...yeah"
"dyakuvaty Bohu. Thank god. It's been almost painful to watch you two dancing round each other for months"
Fletch blushed  "why didn't you tell us?" He playfully punched her on the arm
"Too much fun watching you both try to hide it Ms 'I don't date and definitely not Fletch' and Mr 'we're just friends'"
Fletch laughed. Don't count on me for the rest of the day,  I 'm going to make up for lost time"