Halo | Jimmy Butler

Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light

As the lights turned down in the stadium, Jasmine stood somberly in front of her coach. After screwing up the half time performance she didn't feel like dwelling on her mistake. Much less being dug into about it however she knew she had no choice.

"What were you doing out there JJ?"

Athenia paced as she looked the performer up and down, JJ didn't know what she could say to make her tongue lashing any better.

"Uhm I'm not feeling very well I tried to push through it but I just feel really weak lately."

Athenia shook her head slightly before she exhaled. Jasmine never gave these kinds of performances regularly so she would excuse her this once but it could never happen again. There was a caliber to being a Timberwolves Dancer, it was set and as a Minnesota Native JJ should know that better than anyone else and rise to it.

"Maybe if you spent some more time in the gym you'd be stronger, don't let it happen again Jasmine. You know how many other people would kill for your spot? People who actually can be committed."

With that said Athenia spun on her heels and made her way out while JJ sat back and sighed. She didn't appreciate the snipe about her going back to school for her master's. Her wanting the most out of life for herself didn't make her any less committed.

For the first time in two years she felt herself slipping into that place she'd tried her hardest to escape from. A place Karl Anthony Towns and her so called friends almost buried her in.

"Off night?"

A deep voice disrupted her thoughts and she looked up to see Jimmy Butler dribbling on the court. Rolling her eyes, she straightened herself out.

"You're here to shit on me too?" She got up and began to descend the bleachers "Did Athenia send you?"

The baller was lost; however he did realize that he'd chosen the wrong opening line to broach a conversation. Tucking the ball under his arm he made his way over to her quickly.

"Nah, why would I do that? You just looked really upset, I've never seen you like that."

Jimmy Butler wasn't someone she talked to a lot but whenever they did chat outside of stadium grounds of course it was alright. She even could say she enjoyed it, however in this moment and in this mood, it didn't matter how cute or nice he was she didn't feel like talking.

"Maybe that's because you don't see much, we shouldn't be talking. The last thing I need on top of my shit is to lose my job too."

With that said she bumped past him and made her way out of the stadium, to the locker room and then her car.

Her home was better than her salary should have allowed. She lived alone in a luxury apartment in downtown Minneapolis. Sometimes she even hosted parties. Settling onto her tan chaise lounge she buried her sorrows in Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

"Why did I fuck it up so badly?"

She queried out loud before she took an extra big scoop. Her mind began to go back to the performance, the way Karl had once again proven himself to be a star. Amazing player, shit human being as always. It didn't bother her seeing him usually especially as they hadn't been an item for so long but it did get under her skin when she saw the way he looked at Amanda, one of the other dancers. Karl Anthony Towns did whatever and whoever he wanted, he was above the law in that team which is how they could openly date without it being an issue. However as soon as it was over the organization let her know that they wouldn't tolerate any such drama again from her. She had already landed strike one, today was strike two.