Chapter 12

I wake with a start to the clap of thunder. I get out of bed, still breathing heavily. I don't know why, I just have the impulse to be awake.

Another loud crack of thunder sounds, followed by a knocking noise. I follow it downstairs. A dark shadow stands in the doorway.

I squeak and run back up to the top of the steps. The person knocks again, this time saying something. It's drowned out by the thunder.

I faintly recognize the voice; Calum!

"Fuck, I'm not wearing a bra!" I wisper.

I run back down and unlock the door. It swings open to a boom of thunder. He stands there, soaked to the bone.

"I've been standing here for at least 30 minutes." he says, stepping in.

"I'm so sorry! I'll get you a towel." I say.

I close the door behind him and run to the laundry room. I grab a fresh towel and run back.

"What are you doing here at 3 in the morning, anyway?" I ask. I wrap the towel around his shivering body.

"I couldn't sleep." he says, his teeth chattering.

"Ok...? Why not?" I ask.

He takes off his water-logged shoes. "I c-couldn't fall asleep the past few nights knowing that I really really hurt you. I just wanting to say I'm so so sorry for everything. I wanted to know if we could start over." he says, still shivering.

I want to hug him; he looks so torn down. "Go sit on the couch, I'll get you a blanket and make you some tea." I offer.

He smiles. "I didn't think you'd respond like this." he wispers.

He sits on the couch, his hair dripping everywhere.

"Call it maternal instincts." I tell him.

He flashes another smile. I like his smile so much better than his smirk.

I grab a blanket and wrap it around him. Only then do I notice the huge bags under his eyes.

I go over to the Kurig and brew us both a cup of Chai Tea.

"So you didn't bring an umbrella?" I ask, handing him the steaming mug.

"I didn't think too much about it..." he admits.

"Clearly!" I say, sitting down.

"I'm really sorry for waking you up so early I just....I-I couldn't take it anymore." he wispers.

"No, it's ok, really. I couldn't really fall asleep either." I lie. I'd rather have him think that I couldn't sleep than have him feel awful.

"Ok, good. Only after you came down the steps did I realize how early it is." he says with a slight yawn.

I smile. "So...you want to start over." I remind him.

"Right," he says, "I'm really sorry for beating you up and groping you and bullying you. It's not cool, especially since you have a boyfriend. By the way, how's your neck?" he says.

"Oh, it's fine, thanks." I say.

He sets his mug on the coffee table and gets up. He leans in really close, gently putting a hand on my bruises.

I flinch away at first.

"Are you sure? It's still really bruised." he says.

His breath gives me the goosebumps and I blush slightly.

He pretends not to notice as he sits back down. His eyes flit from my neck to my lips to my eyes.

"I..." I stutter, "I don't feel them anymore."