2.0

L U K E

  Christmas was officially tomorrow and I couldn't help but be a bit happy that its just me and my girl. We both refused to get out of our pj's. Reruns of Christmas films played out on the tv and I was deathly bored. However, Summer was entertained to the top of her head to the bottom of her toes. Mainly because The Grinch was on, a favorite of hers.

I felt like smoking a blunt, in fact I know I can with what I have upstairs. However, the fact that Summer is here makes me realize. She doesn't know I smoke weed.

"Baby I need to tell you something." I reach for the remote and pause the movie. Summer turns to me with a shy smile.

"Yeah?"

"I just feel like you should know, I smoke." I search her widened eyes for answers.

"Oh," Summer laughs a bit nervously. "Like cigarettes?"

  I shake my head. "Weed."

"Oh, well I don't mind. Just don't expect me too. I vowed not to do drugs since Kai's overdose." She clutched onto me, sinking her head into my chest. I respect that, her morals were in place. "And be careful messing with those things. Weed is one thing but Heroine, Cocaine—I don't tolerate."

"Thank you for caring honey, but I know. Im going to roll a blunt, I'll be right back." I smile at her and caress her beautiful face. Sometimes I cant believe such a beautiful, understanding girl could be all mine.

"Hurry back." She calls after me. I run up the stairs grab what I need and roll a small blunt. Grabbing my lucky lighter, I headed back downstairs and snuggled back into the couch with Summer. I was propped up while she laid sideways across my lower half, mindlessly playing with the strings of my sweats.

I cup my hand around the end of the blunt and light it. Instantly a puff of smoke comes up and I breathe it all in then hold it a moment before blowing it out. School does drug tests on athletes but me and the guys don't have to take them since we're considered international. Weed was a bit of a resource for me. As long as I was careful I'd be just fine.

When I finish it, I place the small bit into the ash tray under the couch. I take Summers hair into my hands and begin to play with it. Staying quiet, I let the feeling of a small buzz roll through me. "Summer Im so lucky to have you." I lean down and place my lips onto her cheek. They linger before I pull back.

"I'm the lucky one." She twists and for the first time today she sits up and straddles me. Her arms hook around my neck and play with the edge of my hair. "You're the one that brought me out of this bubble I was in. If it weren't for you I'd still be all alone in my big old house, studying."

"You do know you're the smartest girl in the world, right?" I hold her in my hand. Summer is undeniably precious and treasured deeply. In this moment, the drug coursing through me, my beautiful girl in my hands—I begin to feel a new sort of passion for her. Love?

"I'd like to believe you," she removes her face from my hands and sits back. "Sometimes I just can't help feeling fucking stupid for letting my life get so shitty."

That feeling is gone at these words and replaced by it is worry. "Baby, you couldn't have been able to control any of that." I soothe rubbing her thigh. "You were too young to even know."

"I know," she began to tear up. "I just miss Kai and my parents so much."

"And I miss my Dad and my brothers. But things happen for a reason." I always go by that since Dad died and Calum and I were sitting on his top with our guitars. We talked through it and that kid has always been wise enough to tell me shit happens for a reason.

"Has everyone ever told you, you're sappy when your high?" Summer laughs through her tears. I reach out to wipe them away.

"I care about you Summer. And sure it's just me and you for Christmas, but that makes me perfectly content. I know I'm spending the holiday with someone I cherish, and I know you cherish me." I lean forward and grab her lips with my own. She reacts instantly kissing back. Her hands linger on my scruff and we both smile, breaking the kiss.

"I care about you too Luke. Thank you."