chapter one

1959

Your mother seems almost tired. She doesn't usually get tired; she is the Peggy Carter.
"Mom, can we go get ice cream?" You ask, because ice cream always helps everything.
"Sure," She says, smiling a little less than she normally would.

When you get to the ice cream parlor, you get the ice cream and slide into a booth.
"Are you okay?" You say. Most people would think she's absolutely fine. But she's your mother. Your best friend. You know her better than anyone else.
"I'm fine," She says and you almost believe her. "I've just been thinking about your father." That's understandable.

Your father, Steve Rogers, died before you even made a bulge on your mom's stomach. No one even knew he was your father, except for a few of your mom's friends who she worked with and trusted. They got married right before he died. With only Bucky Barnes, your father's best friend, and General Chester Phillips, who married your parents, present.

You weren't going to mention him again today. She's already tired. Instead you discuss impressive fighting strategies. After ice cream, you go back to the apartment and do some training.

She pins you onto the thin mattresses that are laid out on the floor. Even though you have some Super Soldier genes from your father, Captain America, she is still a better fighter from her years of experience in the military.
"That's good for today," Your mom says as you stand up again.
"Okay!" You say. "Hey, can I go to the movies with Robert tonight?"
"Sure," She said and walked away to take a shower, you assume.

A few hours later, Robert comes to go to the drive-in with you on your bicycles. Robert, who lives in the same apartment building as you and your mother, has been your best friend since you moved to Wheaton, New Jersey when you were six. Whenever anything happened, he was the first and only person you trusted enough to talk to. And every time he gets picked on for being extremely short and lanky, you were there to scare off the bullies.

At the drive-in, the new horror film, House on Haunted Hill, is showing right now. Then later, the new film from Walt Disney, Sleeping Beauty, will be showing. You sit directly in front of the screen with Robert in some blankets you brought. After the horror film ends and the Disney film starts, you start to drift off. About in the middle, you fall asleep completely.

You are woken by the sound of car's engines starting up and the sound of Robert's voice.
"(Y/N), (Y/N)," When he sees your eyes open a little and close again, he smirks. "Come on, Sleeping Beauty. It's time to go." He thinks he is so funny. Finally, you almost completely wake up and pick up the blanket you were wrapped up in. Even though you just woke up, all you can think about is sleeping in your bed as you roll up the blankets, get on your bike, and ride home.

When you arrive at the apartment, Robert says, "Good-night. Don't fall asleep on the stairs."
You give him an irritated look and go straight to your room. You kick your shoes off and change. As soon as your head touches the pillow, you're asleep.