chapter twenty-six

You are sitting in the front of the Quinjet, thinking about how you'll show Steve that you can handle yourself; that he doesn't need to protect you. You look out the window to see the ant guy, Lang, taller than the buildings. Steve and Bucky are running to the Quinjet. The well-dressed alien uses a beam from his forehead to crash a building in front of the entrance to the garage. Wanda holds it with her powers, but drops it when a high-pitched sound temporarily disables her. Steve and Bucky run in to the jet, but are confronted by Natasha. Black panther shows up behind them, and she sends a shock that brings the king to his knees.

Steve sits in the drivers' seat, and Bucky sits behind him.
"What's gonna happen to your friends?" Bucky asks Steve.
"Whatever it is, I'll deal with it," Steve replies.
"I don't know if I'm worth all this, Steve," Bucky's words strangely hurt you in a way that you can't explain. You but stand to face Bucky.
"Shut up." You move to the back and sit against the wall. Bucky has been there for you for a year. When you woke up, he was the only one you had. Yeah, Steve was alive, but he wasn't there. He glances in your direction with a concerned look on his face. You rest your head against the wall, giving him the 'I'm not in the mood' look, and listen to the quiet engine and the wind passing by outside. You wish you could sleep, but your brain won't shut up. You think of the strange people you've seen/fought just today. You think of Bucky, who doesn't understand how much he really means to you, and how that infuriates you, And finally, you think of Steve, who you're still slightly upset at for leaving you and Mom.

You arrive in Siberia. You're freezing, but nobody else is complaining; so you suck it up. Out the window, all you can see is white. Steve lands the Quinjet, and Bucky grabs a large gun from a panel in the wall.
"Stay here," Steve speaks to you.
"What? No. I'm going with you," You argue.
"And what if you get hurt? Whatever is in there is dangerous."
"My DNA is half of your Super Soldier genes, Steve, remember?"
He's stunned to hear you refer to your similar genes. The news hasn't sunken in yet. He nods slightly before turning to open the back door. You pull your gun from the back of your pants and and your shield from up against the wall. You move next to Bucky, waiting for the door to open. Bucky and Steve reminisce about when Bucky spent all his money trying to impress a girl while you stand quietly, having no input on their conversation.

Bucky leads with his big machine gun, and you and Steve walk side-by-side. When you get to a narrow stairwell, Steve motions for you to walk in front of him so you can be in the sandwich of protection. A creaking noise comes from behind, sending a sharp chill down your spine. Steve kneels down, holding his shield up, while you and Bucky hold your guns toward the noise.
"Ready?" Steve asks.
"Yeah," Bucky speaks before you can say "no". The door is opened by Tony Stark in his metal suit. He strides forward, but nobody else moves. You think about shooting his suit only because you know it can't hurt him, but you don't want to start another fight.

Steve cautiously walks towards Stark.
"You seem a little defensive," Stark speaks.
"It's been a long day," Steve replies.
"At ease, Soldier. I'm not currently after you." Stark then sees you. "Why is she here Cap? She's a kid. She shouldn't be involved in any of this."
"She's got the right DNA," Steve shrugs.
"What do you mean...wait, she's-" His finger shifts between you and Steve. "She's a Mini Cap?"
"I guess you could say that," You can't see Steve's head, but you can hear the grin in his voice. It seems that he's actually enjoying having a daughter, now that things have been beginning to settle down, giving it a chance to sink in.
"Anyways," Stark starts back on the subject. "Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself."
"Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork." Steve lowers his shield. "It's good to see you, Tony."
"You too, Cap. Hey, Manchurian Candidate, Little Cap, you guys are killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop the-" You and Bucky refuse to lower your weapons just because this guy tells you too, but Steve motions for you to lower the guns; so you do.