chapter three

You steady your mom as you walk to the car. She's awake and alert but she's getting a little weak.
"You know I can walk by myself," She said tiredly.
"Sure," You say, not moving from her side. You walk to the passenger side of the car.
"I am capable of driving," She says without much conviction.
"Okay," You say but going to the passenger side. She probably can still drive and walk. But you really want to drive.

You take the back road to get to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. It's a good thing that you are driving. Your mom is sleeping soundly in the seat next to you. You reach back without taking your eyes off the road and grab a light blanket that was on the floor in the back. You drape it over your mom with one hand, and she sighs quietly.

You pull up to S.H.I.E.L.D. and walk to the passenger side of the car. Your mom is still sleeping, and you don't want to wake her up. So you open the door, put your arm under her knees and on her back, kick the door shut with your foot, and carry her to the building. The blanket she had falls as you pick her up. Right now, you're very grateful for the Super Soldier genes you have.

It must look strange to carry your mom who is taller than you because other's eyes stare in shock to see you carrying your mom so easily. They are also probably staring because Peggy Carter needs to be carried. She's just sleeping; she's not dead, you want to say. But someone who walked away before comes back with a doctor behind him.
"Hi, my name is Doctor Jones. Here, let me carry her back to my office," He offers.
"It's okay. I got her," You say and he doesn't argue, seeing that you are carrying her with ease that he probably would not have. You follow Doctor Jones down a hallway. He turns left in the middle of the hallway and left again at the end of this hallway and into his office.

After carrying her here, you remember that your genes are only partially Super Soldier's. The other part is very much human, and you are a little worn out. She starts waking up when you set her on the table in the middle of the room. The only other furniture is a desk in the corner in front of you on the right and a few chairs on the wall in front of you. Doctor Jones called a nurse in to help him and you sit on a chair while they check your mom. She's fully awake now and answering questions like "when did you get a cold?" and "have you been having muscle pain?"

As they ask her questions, you can't help but get hungry. You haven't eaten lunch yet.
"Do you have any vending machines here?" You ask after your stomach has growled twice.
"Yes. Just go down the hall to the right, turn left at the end of the hallway, and continue straight," The nurse replies.
"Thank you," You say, walking toward the door.