chapter sixteen

August, 2015

Right now, you're walking back to the apartment with Bucky on a rough sidewalk. You look across the street and wave at a little girl who is smiling at you. When the girl walks away with her father, you look forward in time to see a bump on the sidewalk that you're currently tripping over. You immediately hop a few times in a second to try to regain your balance, but you end up on your butt, looking at Bucky; sometimes you wonder if some of your dad's clumsy genes from before he was transformed somehow snuck into your DNA. You see Bucky showing a flashy smile at your dispense, but you don't really care, because this is the first time he's shown you a toothy smile since he made a remark about your dad when he unfroze you three months ago. You smile, though your smile isn't quite as large as Bucky's. He offers his left hand which is nearest to you and metal. You grip it; he pulls you up so hard that your toes rise about a half inch off the ground. For the rest of the walk to the apartment, you stare at your feet and the sidewalk, making sure you don't trip embarrass yourself again.

You arrive at the apartment door where Bucky pulls out a key. He turns the key three times to open the door. You bring the plastic shopping bag to the kitchen to put the chips, candy bars, and water bottles in the cupboards and refrigerator. Bucky walks up next to you to get a candy bar.

"Ready for school?" Bucky asks, finishing his candy. He's been teaching you Romanian in replacement of normal school.
"Yeah," You say, sitting at the table.
"How do you say 'hello. How are you?'" Bucky starts reviewing what you've learned already.
"Salut. Ce mai faci?" You answer; he nods his head and thinks of his next question.
"How do you say thank you?" He asks. You think for a long second before answering.
"Multumesc," You finally reply.
"Okay," He says, getting ready to teach you something new. "'I can't speak Romanian well' is nu vorbesc bine româneste. Nu vorbesc."
"Nu vorbesc," You repeat after him.
"Nine româneste," He finishes.
"Nu vorbesc nine româneste," You complete the phrase. (Noo vor-besc bee-nay roh-moohn-eshtay is the pronunciation of the Romanian sentence.)
"Do you want to learn how to say 'help me'?" Bucky asks.
"No, I'll have to work on this for a few days," You reply.

Bucky lays on his mattress while you sit at the table, repeating the same phrase again and again. After practicing your new knowledge and reading a section of Pensèes by Blaise Pascal for about twenty minutes, you lay on the ground in front of the sofa. Placing your feet under the couch, you begin doing sit-ups.

You complete one-hundred-twenty sit-ups and move to the plank position, which you hold for three minutes. After your plank, you do forty push-ups. When you finish your mini workout, you climb into the tiny shower.