chapter twenty-three

Bucky's metal arm is flying in front of your face, breaking concrete off of the doorway. Sam ducks out of the way, but is soon being thrown across the room by Bucky's arm. Steve immediately tries to stop Bucky but fails, as Bucky is currently the Winter Soldier. After throwing and blocking multiple punches, Steve is thrown down an elevator shaft.

"Bucky!" You cry, hoping your voice might free him from his trance. He doesn't notice you. Sam gets up and pursues the man who did this. You check on Steve, who is now climbing back up he shaft, then follow Bucky, hoping he'll recognize you. You see him beating several men who are trying to stop him. You are met by Tony Stark, Natasha, and the blonde-haired woman, who are also attempting to stop him. Bucky chokes Natasha but is stopped short by the King of Wakanda. You want to stop Bucky before he or other people get hurt, but you can't fight him. Bucky moves to the stairwell but is met by the King. Bucky falls a few yards away. He bounces up and stalks to the roof. You follow, hoping to stop him. He breaks into a helicopter and climbs in.
"Bucky, this isn't you." He looks at you for the first time.  His dead, dark eyes pierce straight through you. "Come on, Buck." He slowly moves towards you, the mechanisms in his arm clicking as they move. You know he doesn't recognize you and is ordered to kill anyone in his way.

You command him to stop in Russian, hoping it will be more effective than Romanian. "Прекрати!" You tell him to stop, and he does. He still looks dark, but isn't walking towards you anymore. Steve and Sam appear on the helipad. They walk carefully to Bucky, trying not to trigger him.
"We need to knock him out," You say, wishing you didn't have to. "He might start up again when we go."
"Why should we go?" Sam asks. You shift your eyes to him.
"Because if we stay, they'll blame Bucky for everything."
"She's right," Steve speaks up. "I know a place."

You stand in an abandoned warehouse, yards away from Bucky, whose metal arm is locked between two large pieces of metal. Bucky is just now waking up. He groans, and you want to help him out.
"(Y/N)," he speaks when he sees you standing near him.
"Buck," you know he is Bucky again. You start toward the lever to free Bucky, but you are stopped by a hand resting on your shoulder. This time, it's Sam. Steve is walking in when Bucky sees him.
"Steve." He tries to stand, but cannot.
"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asks.
"Your mom's name was Sarah," Bucky chuckles. "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes."
"Can't read that in a museum," Steve says, relieved.
"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam is still hesitant of Bucky.
"Yes." You glare at Sam.

"What did I do?" Bucky inquires painfully.
"Buck, it-" You begin quietly. Steve most likely doesn't hear you, because he interrupts,
"Enough"
Bucky sighs. "Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything Hydra put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words."
"Who was he?" Steve still hasn't let Bucky out. You decide to let him out while they're still talking.
"I don't know," Bucky replies to Steve's question. Steve is letting Bucky know that people are dead. You want to convince him that it is not his fault.
"I need you to do better than 'I don't know,'" Steve finishes, giving Buck a chance to answer. You find the lever, not as rusty as before, because Steve used it half-an-hour ago. You start pulling it and pushing it, trying to loosen it.
"He wanted to know about Siberia." Bucky thinks for a short moment. "Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."
You finally move the lever less than an inch before it stops again. You try again, and this time is goes more smoothly. The top chunk of metal lifts up, releasing Bucky's metal arm. His arm slumps onto his lap.
"Why would he need to know that?" Steve questions.
"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier," Bucky answers, now standing.