chapter nineteen

June, 2016

Bucky just went to the market to get some fruit. He offered to take you, but you declined. Today, you'd rather curl up on the couch in your pajamas and read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. You've missed so much scientific discoveries while under cryofreeze, and you have yet to learn of all of them.

You wash your hands in the bathroom while the toilet is refilling. When it stops making noise, you hear the floorboards creaking on the other side of the door. You crack the door open and see a man standing in the kitchen. Quietly reaching your arm to the shelves on your right, you grab a gun. You step out, pointing the gun at the intruder.
"Understood," He speaks into a device on his ear without turning to you. When he realizes your presence, he sets one of Bucky's journals on the table. "Sam, I gotta go. Someone's here; it's not him." He starts turning when Bucky walks in.
"Hey, (Y/N), I got plu-" Bucky stops short when he sees the gun in your hands. You don't look at Bucky. You're just staring at this stranger who, you see, is your father.

"No," is what you say when you finally find your voice. "No, you're dead. She..." your voice catches in your throat. "She mourned for you!" Although you know who this is, you can't lower the gun. You can't move. You can't even think. You're drowning in strange feelings. Shock. Hurt. A bit of happiness dissolves before it sets in.
"Do you know who this is?" Bucky inquires. You nod your head slightly.
Captain America gives you a confused look before turning to Bucky.
"Do you know me?" Your father asks Bucky.
"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

Bucky and your father continue a short conversation. Suddenly, your arm gets heavy; you lower your gun. You hear Captain America mention "they" who are coming to kill Bucky. That snaps you back into reality. You tuck the gun in the back of your trousers.
"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck," Bucky is taking the glove off his left hand, preparing for a fight.
"It always ends in a fight."

Five seconds later, a grenade crashes through the window. Bucky kicks it to Captain America who smothers it with his shield. Bucky pulls you behind his mattress. Men with guns break through the window while other men try to break the door down. You and Bucky knock down a couple of men who were trying to grab you. You hear something like gears shift through his arm when he uses it against some of the men and their guns.
"Buck, stop!" Steve warns. "You're gonna kill someone."
"I'm not gonna kill anyone," Bucky replies after punching the floor to get his backpack full of journals. He chucks the backpack onto the building across the street before more men climb through the window. You and Steve hold up your shields to guard the three of you from the hail of gunfire. Bucky throws Steve out the back door and pulls you towards the door. He knocks out a some men with various items while you knock out three with your shield. Bucky punches the door open before the soldiers can. He grabs your hand before descending a few flights of stairs, knocking soldiers unconscious on the way down. He breaks into another apartment and jumps out the window. You follow him to the rooftop in the other side of the street. He grabs his backpack and your hand and runs across the roof. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a man wearing all black jumps onto Bucky, knocking him down. You're not sure what to do, but your protective instinct jumps in.