Chapter 13

Alice woke up to the sun shining in through the curtains that she had promised she would keep shut. The entire hotel room smelled of coffee, and resisting the urges to stay in bed for hours more, she got up to go investigate. 
Kid was in the tin kitchen standing over by the microwave intently staring into it. 
"There was a bag of coffee in the cupboard, and I figured we would need some for today."
"Why today?" Alice asked, leaning across the counter.
"We're leaving." He looked up just in time to see Alice's smile drop into the dismay. 
"We have only been here for a few days, Kid. Where are we gonna go?" 
He shook his head while opening up the microwave. 
"We can't talk about it, not here. Just trust me.'' He handed her a cup of coffee, and before she had time to even think about what to say next, he had walked away and started packing what little things they had left. 
   This all hurt Alice's head too much, she was young, she had never experienced something this fast, this forward. She sunk to the hardwood floor clutching her cup of coffee, and closed her eyes.
If she could just turn back time maybe she could have done something different, maybe she could have been a better child, maybe her mom could have survived. She blamed this entire mess on herself, and had no more energy to go on. 
With the thoughts of dying running through her mind she let her body go limp as she felt Kid picking her up. 
"It's time to go."