chapter 38

They reached the field when the sun was already low in the sky yet still some way from setting. Redemption flew straight into the field and Breeze followed, making the small space a bit crowded and resulting in one or two smaller trees 'accidentally' being bent over.

Akira dismounted and Dominique, after a moment's hesitation, followed her suit. He left Breeze and walked towards the middle of the clearing, coming to a standstill a meter away from where Akira stood.

"So..." Akira began.

"What was that back there?" Dominique blurted out, his eyes rising to meet Akira's.

"What was what?" Akira asked, wondering to what Dominique was referring, there was so much that had happened that he could mean.

"You shot fire from your hands!" Dominique told her, his gaze moving to her hands, looking at them as though he wasn't quite sure if what he had seen earlier on was real or not.

Akira smiled. Of course, out of everything that had happened Dominique would remember that. "I guess it's just one of the perks of being the rider of legend, then again, maybe any rider could do it if they tried hard enough," Akira shrugged. "Sadly it only works if Redemption is nearby. It has something to do with our connection."

"So, you really are the rider of legend," Dominique stared at her in wonder.

Akira smiled, "I guess I am. Though you can't say I didn't try to tell you."

"Yeah," Dominique ran a hand through his hair, looking a bit sheepish, his face suddenly turned serious, "So you're going back...to your own time?"

"Yes," Akira nodded, "Apparently Redemption can take us back."

"Akira..." Dominique looked at her with sad eyes, "I don't want you to go...can't you stay for me?" he asked pleadingly.

"I'm sorry," Akira told him, smiling sadly. "But I have to get back to the others. Besides, Gina Seth and the others will be worried out of their minds."

"Seth is a bit more than worried," Redemption snorted. "He's been doing nothing but train since you disappeared, swearing to find the person that took you away and make them pay."

"Seth," Dominique murmured. "Of course," he added bitterly, remembering Seth from the legend, the man that had caught the rider of legend's heart, the one who had fought by her side, who had been through it all with her. He used to admire him but now, now he felt a sudden dislike towards him.

"I'm sorry Dominique," Akira smiled apologetically at him. "I don't think it would have worked out between...us. Seth and I, we're just....we've been through so much together, we...complete each other," she smiled as she said it. "Besides," she grinned at a sudden idea. "Technically I'm almost five hundred years older than you. Think about it. That makes me older than you're great, great, great, great, great..."

"Stop!" Dominique pleaded making a face, "I don't need that picture in my mind."

Akira laughed, her eyes twinkling, yet suddenly she grew serious. "It was nice knowing you Dominique. I enjoyed every minute of our time together."

"So did I," Dominique said softly, feeling his heart squeeze with the knowledge that this was goodbye for good. "So...." he held his hand out, "I guess this is goodbye."

Akira stared at his hand a moment before she jumped forward and surprised Dominique by throwing her arms around his neck. Caught off guard Dominique stood absolutely still for a moment before he hugged her back. It just felt so right holding Akira like this, so right. A smile spread across his face and he hugged her tighter.

"Dominique," Akira warned.

"Sorry," Dominique replied sheepishly loosening his grip somewhat but refusing to let go, not yet.