A Tight-Knit Family (Reprise)

A/N: Apologies for the absence, but I was a tad busy being a theatre nerd in London (read: I got to see Hamilton and BOM whOOP).

So here, have an angsty chapter.

Marvin stood up, and Whizzer and I stopped making noise. We turned to one another, fear evident in both of our sets of eyes. This probably wouldn't end well.

Marvin began pacing and ranting. Two of his favourite things to do at once - must be great fun for him, but let me tell ya, it was complete and utter hell for the rest of us.

"Y'know, I don't wanna cause a stink," he said. Mom and Mendel sprang apart, while Whizzer snorted, earning himself a glare from Marvin. "I divorce my wife, and she runs off with my shrink?"

He sounded to be in utter disbelief. And also pretty damn peeved, but I guess when it comes to Marvin, that goes without saying. The guy's incredibly self-absorbed and self-deceived.

"All I want is a tight-knit family," he said for what felt like the millionth time. "I just want a wife who knows what love is."

Whizzer started to shake, and his breathing was getting funny. I wasn't sure if he was scared or angry or upset, or maybe all at once, but I knew that when I got like that, Mom or Whizzer would hold me, so I grabbed his hand, looking at him with concern. He seemed to calm down a little, but he was still shaking, so I wrapped my arm around him as much as I could, pulling him closer to my exceedingly smaller frame.

Marvin was still ranting, but then Mendel stood up, momentarily shocking him into silence.

"I should worry about what you say, but you act bereft, while my thievery is pretty perverse," Mendel admitted.

"You said it," Marvin countered. They were beginning to really get into each others faces, and it scared me. They looked like the older kids when they were about to have a rumble. I think it was scaring Whizzer too, as he was clinging onto me like a lifeline.

"I cannot believe she loves you," Marvin deadpanned. Mom looked like she was about to burst with anger. "But I guess nothing's impossible."

"Look who's got power!" shouted Mendel, lifting up his arms in a "come at me, bitch" kind of way.

"King of the losers," Marvin said, voice dripping with spite.

"At eighty an hour," Mendel answered. "You might be able to bitch, but I can stall!"

It was at that moment I realised that Mom was no longer sitting on the other side of the room behind Mendel. The door beside the couch Whizzer and I were crouched on opened, and Mom grabbed my hand, pulling Whizzer and I through it and out into the hall. She pushed the door closed behind us, and we all collapsed with our backs to it.

We could still here Marvin and Mendel hurling insults at each other through the door, although the sound was now muffled. Mom and Whizzer were sandwiching me, but I didn't mind. We all clung to one another, adrenaline coursing through our veins.

Mom turned to Whizzer and I, her voice shaking slightly, "I think we should take a trip to 7/11, maybe get some slushies?"

We both nodded, standing up. We walked out to the car, and drove a few minutes to the nearest 7/11. We got our slushies, before sitting back down in the car in silence for a while. Mom and Whizzer began whispering to one another in the front seat. After about half an hour, we went back to the house. Marvin had cleared off, and Mendel sat alone on a couch in the living room. He didn't look hurt, so at least the fight hadn't gotten physical.

I went to my room, and just sat on the bed thinking for a while, before getting out my chess set.

This was all my fault.

A/N: I DON'T BLAME JASON DON'T COME FOR ME.
But I can see the poor kid blaming himself.

636 words