Another Miracle of Judaism / Something Bad Is Happening (Reprise)

A/N IMSOSORRY

I eventually stopped running and collapsed into a chair. I had no idea where in the hospital I was, all I knew was that I was far away from Whizzer's room.

I had calmed down and stopped crying at this point. I didn't feel angry or sad anymore. Just... empty. Done. Tired. I decided one, final, desperate plea couldn't hurt, right? I may as well try. Anything to help Whizzer.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and attempted to tune out the buzz of the hospital, which is far easier said than done.

'Hello, God,' I thought. 'I don't think that we've ever really spoken. Would a miracle be too much to ask of you? Probably. I don't even know if you exist. Do you just sit back and watch? Or can you do things? If you do this, then I'll get bar mitzvahed! Just please, please make my friend stop dying! I'm not naïve, I know that it won't be easy. But if you could do that, it'd really and truly be the miracle of Judaism. Hey, maybe I'd actually believe in you."

Suddenly I heard two very familiar voices from around the corner. Dad and Charlotte. My eyes snapped open, and now, with a clearer head, I could tell where I was. Right beside Charlotte's office. Crap.

I probably shouldn't have, but I stopped and listened to them talking.

"Something very bad is happening, Marvin," I could hear Charlotte say. She sounded scared, which scared me. Charlotte wasn't scared of anything. She had told me herself. "Something that kills, something infectious. Something that... spreads, from one man to another."

No! Not Dad as well, no!

I started to cry again, crumpling in onto myself.

285 words