Chapter Six: Sneaking In

Maya's P.o.v

"So..what did you guys wanna talk about?" "Why was he in your room?" "Does that matter? The door was open. We were studying psychology. I don't see the problem." "You just started this school Maya and you're a senior now. Your first focus doesn't need to be boys. I'm going to need you to take this new chance seriously. You're already embarrassing me and your father." "Yeah..great way to lift my spirits mom and dad."

My dad sighed then began speaking.

"You need to take this seriously Maya. When you want to study with someone else in the house in your room you need to tell us." "Okay. Next time I will. I'll never do this again."

My mom said,"Actions speak louder than words."

I scoffed.

"First off, you guys don't even pay attention to me." "Yes we do." "No you guys don't. When I try talking to you guys you can't even look at me. I promise I won't invite anyone else over without telling you guys first."

I got up and went to my room making sure to slam and lock the door behind me. My phone started to ring and I answered it.

Hello?

Hey. It's me. What are you up to?

My parents are such assholes.

Another pointless conversation?

Yup.

You okay?

Yeah..I'll be fine.

Okay well, my mom's asking me to do something. Call you later?

Sure. Bye Gus.

Bye Maya.

We hung up and I just sighed. After awhile I started to get bored and my dad and mom were settling down for bed. I was about to start listening to a lofi mix until someone knocked on my balcony door. I couldn't see anyone past the black curtains so I opened the door and there Gus was.

"What are you doing here?" "Well you said over the phone that you'd be fine but I didn't believe you so I came over, climbed up onto your fancy ass balcony then knocked on this door." "If my parents find you here they'll kill you." "Well what they don't know won't kill them. You won't tell will you?"

I started blushing for some reason then he walked into my room. I closed the door behind him then turned towards him. Seeing he had sat on my bed.

"I wish you were a vampire." "Why?" "So I had to invite you in for you to be able to come in." "Well too bad I'm not a vampire then huh?" "Yeah. Too bad." "Well what were you up to dork? Before I knocked on your door." "I was about to put on a lofi mix." "Those are chill." "You listen to those?"

I sat on the bed next to Gus.

"Yeah. They're cool."

The more I sat next to him the more I wanted to know why he kissed me twice today. It couldn't have just been because he wanted me to have my first kiss. I had to ask him why. But at the same time I didn't wanna make things awkward.

"Gus?" "Yeah."

He looked up at me and I sighed.

"Nevermind." "No. Tell me. I can handle it." "Nevermind..it was stupid." "It can't be stupid if it made you wanna question me. Just ask. It doesn't hurt to try. You can ask, I'll say no then we'll move on with our lives."

I slapped his arm and he started laughing. When his laughter died down he looked at me.

"Alright fine. Lets play a game instead then." "What game?" "21 questions." "Okay?" "C'mon it'll be fun."

He put his legs in pretzel form and turned towards me then I did the same to him.

He said,"Alright you first. Ask me anything." "Okay..um...favorite color?" "Well I don't really need to choose a favorite because I look good in all of them but I do like pink. What about you?" "Black." "Alright, favorite genre of movie?" "I love horror of course. You?" "Same but I'm not against a decent comedy or a lively action movie every once in awhile." "Yeah. Um..girlfriend?" "Now we're getting to the good stuff." "Oh shut up and answer the question." "No. I do not have a girlfriend. But, I am gladly single and ready to mingle."

I giggled as he started to wiggle his eyebrows.

"I remembered you said you've never had a boyfriend." "Yeah." "Good because if you did I was gonna pound his face into concrete repeatedly until he was dead."

I looked at him with a confused smile and he chuckled.

"I'm kidding Maya. But it is good that you're single. Stay that way." "Is that a threat?" "Maybe." "Well too bad I'm not scared of it then huh? Do you do drugs?" "Yeah." "What do you do?" "That's two questions." "Fine ask me something." "What'd your parents say when they talked to you?" "They said I was embarrassing them and I shouldn't be worried about boys when I'm just starting this new school and I need to take this "new chance" more seriously. Now, what do you do?" "You can't just say all that and think I'm just gonna skip over it." "You're stalling."

He looked at me and I looked back at him.

"Answer my question Gus. What do you do? I won't judge you or whatever." "Yeah you will." "No I won't." "Yes you will. Everyone does after they say they won't." "I won't. I double swear promise that I won't."

He looked at me hesitantly.

"Okay. Name one thing you do." "Weed." "Average answer." "Shrooms." "Okay. Not that bad." "Try coke." "Tell me about them." "Fuck no. If you end up into that shit, okay but I'm not getting you into that shit." "Fine. It was worth a shot." "Full name?"

I sighed in shame. He smirked.

"I'm done playing." "What? No fair you can't just quit the game." "I can and I just did." "Mayaaa. Don't be like that. C'mon. What's your full name? I double swear promise I won't judge it."

I glared at him and he chuckled. Right when I was about to say something we heard my mom coming. We looked at each other then I ended up throwing him in my closet. Before my mom got to my room I had gotten back into my bed and I was looking at my tv.

Okay. Play it cool like Gus.

"You ready for school tomorrow?" "Yes." "You getting ready for bed?" "Yes mom." "Tomorrow we go out to dinner." "I know mom. We do this every Friday."

She looked at me hesitantly and said,"Goodnight Maya." "Goodnight."

She walked out my room and closed the door. I got up after awhile and locked it. Gus came out of the closet and I sighed.

"I'm so sorry you had to-." "Don't. It's fine. But, I think I'm gonna start heading home now. I don't want my mom to be worrying herself to death." "Oh...okay." "But we will finish our game."

He got closer to me and I looked up at him.

"I double swear promise."

I half smiled and he gave me a hug. After we said our last goodbyes he threw his hood up and went out my balcony window. I closed the door behind him and got into bed. Gus drifting in my thoughts as I went to sleep.