Chapter Eight: The Mark

Maya's P.o.v

Me and Gus were parked somewhere in my Benz just laughing our asses off at something Gus had said. I was having the time of my life. Until he noticed.

"Maya?" "Yeah?"

I smiled at him.

"What is that?" "What is what?" "That. On your arm."

I hesitated for a second. I had to lie.

"Nothing. I just hurt myself today. No big deal." "Maya..don't lie to me." "I'm not lying."

He looked at me and I don't know why but then the truth just blurted out.

"Brad grabbed my arm." "What? Maya, why didn't you tell me?" "It's okay. He's a douche. He knows I'm still not scared of him." "Still. Next time tell me." "Why?" "Don't ask why. Just do it." "Oooo. Demanding. That's sexy." "You're a dork Maya." "I'm the cutest dork you'll ever see though right?"

I smiled at him and raised my eyebrows which made him laugh.

"Yeah I guess. You're definitely not like most girls I've talked to." "So you've told me." "Hey, I'm gonna go piss. You stay here. Don't get out of this Benz." "Okay, dad."

He chuckled then got out and ran somewhere. I smiled to myself and waited on Gus to come back.

After awhile I started to wonder where Gus had went because he still wasn't back yet. I pulled out my phone to call him but then my phone ended up dying.

"Shit."

I got out of the truck and started walking towards the alley Gus walked down. But, before I could even enter it Gus was thrown right in front of me.

"Gus! Are you okay? Answer me!"

I started checking his body to make sure he was okay and then I seen he was bleeding on his head and had a black eye forming. He was also bruised on his stomach. He was groaning in pain and telling me to leave.

"No. I'm not leaving you here, come on."

I tried getting him up but he was so much bigger than me and he could barely move on his own. Then some guys surrounded us.

"Well well well. If it isn't Maya. The school's wanna-be hero." "Brad."

I got up slowly and seen he had a bat in his hand.

"Just go home Maya. I'm sure your mom wouldn't want her little princess out so late in business she shouldn't be in."

I looked down at Gus then Brad got behind me and he moved my hair from my shoulder.

"Or you could stay and get hurt like your little boyfriend." "I won't let you hurt him."

I kept my eyes on Gus and he looked at me with a sad expression.

Gus said,"Just go home Maya. Please."

I watched the blood that started to fall from his mouth and his eyes that started to close.

Brad got to my ear,"As a matter of fact.."

He handed the bat to one of his friends.

"I'll make you watch."

He held me and made me watch as his friend just beat on Gus. I was crying hard and trying to get out of Brad's grip. Once I finally did I kicked him as hard as I could in his private area. I then picked up a rock and hit the guy with the bat that was beating Gus. He fell out and dropped the bat. I grabbed the bat and started beating him with it.

"How does that feel you dick?!"

I started hitting him harder after every hit but then I finally stopped. I then got Gus up and got him back to the Benz. Once we got in I started it and I started taking him back home. He was just groaning away in the passenger seat. Holding his stomach.

"Gus? Are you okay? Do you need a hospital or anything? Did they-." "I'm...fine."

He moved a certain way and winced hard.

"Stop moving! You're making me anxious!"

My mind was racing and I was super worried about Gus and Gus only. Once we finally got to his house I helped him into the house and set him on his couch. He pointed tiredly to a door behind me and told me to grab his first aid kit. I did what he said then brought it back to him.

"Do you need help with anything?" "N-No."

He tried taking his shirt off but it just wasn't working out so I did it for him then set it next to him. Once he tried working on his head first, I found his kitchen and grabbed a block of meat from the freezer. I brought it back and waited for him to be done with his head. When he was, I helped put the freezing meat on his stomach. He winced while I put it on and grabbed onto my arm but I didn't mind. Once it was on there I sat next to him and stared at the ceiling.

"Why did you stay there Maya?"

He wasn't looking at me. He stared blankly ahead of him.

"I...I couldn't leave you there." "I told you to leave." "I know..." "Something bad could've happened to you." "Gus I couldn't just leave you there to get beat." "But what if you had of gotten hurt?" "I didn't though."

I looked at him and he looked at me.

"A thanks would be nice asshole." "You don't get a thanks. I didn't even need your help." "You know what? Fine. You don't need my help then whatever."

I got up and I left from his house then I went home. Once I got there of course my mom and dad started bombarding me with questions.

"Guys I'm fine. Just leave me alone."

I went to my room and closed the door behind me then I laid down on my bed. The crazy thing is even though he hated me for helping him I still was worried as all hell about him. I got ready for bed then I finally went to sleep. Nothing but Gus still on my mind.