V : Let's Talk First

"Oh, wow."

Urie violently rolled his eyes at your reaction, thoroughly annoyed by your lack of emotions in the situation.

"Although, what's a kakuja?" You innocently asked. If you just played along saying you already knew, they'd probably suspect something, and you couldn't have that.

"A kakuja is a very strong kagune--the predatory organ of ghouls-- that manifests itself when there are high ratios of RC cells present in the ghoul's body." Doctor White flawlessly answered, making you frown in confusion.

"But I have a lack of RC cells." You reminded. "How's that perfect for a kagune like that?"

"Because the very thin line that seperates the quinx from ghouls is their cell count. A kakuja would secrete a lot of RC cells into the Quinx's body, and if the count ever gets too high, the quinx itself would become a ghoul." He answered. "Your lack of RC cells makes you a perfect host for the kakuja kakuhou. Which is the sack that holds the kagune, we'll be implanting that into your back."

"Hold on, hold on. Don't I get a say in whether I want to give up my humanity or not?" You quickly asked, looking between the calm doctor White and a nervous Haise.

"Of course you do," The pudding head assured. "We're just hoping you'd accept the job. The pay is good, and you'll get to live with them." He nodded his head at the three quinx next to him and your eyes went to Shirazu, who was still smiling about this whole situation. Was he this hyped  about having a new quinx?

"I haven't even finished high school yet! I never went to the CCG academy! It'd be stupid to choose me, who has zero interest in joining the CCG right now, as a new quinx! I'm sure there are students from the academy that are more compatible than me." You countered, ignoring how your talking sounded more like whining.

"You are legit going to get payed to do anything." Shirazu explained, which you really didn't care about. You had life plans, damn it.

"And I'd have to live in the same house as them? No offense, but uh I have parents who might have some worries about that..."

The three quinx seemed to tense up at the word 'parent'. That's right, theirs didn't... Shit, did none of them survive in this world either? Now you felt like shit for bringing it up.

Talking about parents... You glanced at Mutsuki, slightly skeptical. If you were  to join them, was he still..? You rather have the answer as no. Torso's after you now, not him. For now, at least. And even though he might find Tooru later, you really wished he won't.

"Of course, we won't do anything until we get your parents' consent! You are still a minor, after all..." Haise assured. "In fact, we called them here to talk about it."

Oh, looks like this'll be a big family reunion, although you really didn't want to see your mother, considering you had a little fight with her this morning since she wanted you to stay home, after the whole Torso incident...

Technically, she got what she wanted, no? Her child wasn't at school today, so she shouldn't be too pissed... Plus her child just got a job offer that apparently pays well. She should be just fine...

"I have to agree with (Y/N) on this, though... They haven't even gotten their high school diploma yet. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until after they graduate before having them join." Mutsuki finally spoke up. Bless that sweet, considerate man.

"By the time they're out of high school, the Quinx project will be too far along." Haise frowned. "It's now or never."

Wow, did that sentence just add like a hundred pounds on your shoulders? Yes, yes it did. Right now, you had to choose between following every Tokyo Ghoul fan's dream, or following your own personal dream. Which one?

"You sir are putting a lot of pressure on me." You chuckled, slouching over on the table and yawning. How did you ever wish to be in a situation like this in the past? It's so stressful!

"I apologize!" Haise exclaimed. "It's just that it would be nice to have another Quinx, even if they haven't finished high school. And you're quite intelligent from what we've gathered, so it wouldn't be a big deal! It's just a question of helping you learn about ghouls and fighting techniques against them!"

And Urie can be the one teaching me that thank you very much. You thought, flicking your eyes towards the said man before going back to Haise.

"I'll talk about it with my family and we'll see."

"Although we would have liked them to finish high school, if (Y/N) truly wants this... Then we can't object." Your father said, after five minutes of non stop explaining and talking from both Haise and Doctor White (Shirazu had tried to pipe in too but was stopped by both Mutsuki and Urie).

"So you're letting me go along with this whole Quinx project?!" You exclaimed. You were so sure they'd deny it right when they mentioned surgery, but right now, they just looked surprised that you had been picked for it.

"The training program will keep you physically fit, and I'm sure they'll watch out for your health. Plus, you'll have friends around and it'll keep your brain stimulated when it comes to planning strategies, writing and reading CCG reports... I'm alright with most of it." Your mother said. She did look a bit squeamish when it came to implanting a ghoul organ into you, but that was expected of her.

"So..?" Haise asked, looking at you hopefully. "You don't need to say yes, I'd hate for you to be forced into this or unhappy, but you'd be welcomed as one of us!"

You glanced between him, Mutsuki, Ginshi and Urie, thinking at the speed of light.

Any Tokyo Ghoul fan would jump at the opportunity, so why didn't you?

"Well, uh... As much as I'd love to, high school's a pretty big thing I'd have to accomplish..." You started. You could spot the very second where both Haise and Shirazu had lost all hope in getting a new Quinx.

"I..." You took a deep breath. This'll change your life forever. "I'll do it!" You finally said, a sudden burst of courage surging through you. "I'll join the Quinx project!"

"FUCK YEAH!"

All heads turned to Shirazu, who slapped both hands on his mouth, turning as red as a stop sign.

"S-Shirazu!" Mutsuki exclaimed, before turning to your parents. "You'll have to excuse him, he's just very excited to have a new member in the Quinx squad..." He said nervously.

Your parents eyed the shark boy skeptically before accepting Tooru's apologies and turning back to you. Your father smiled at you. "Congrats on your new career, (Y/N)."

"Thanks, dad."

You caught a glimpse of Urie before facing Doctor White. He looked thoroughly pissed, but you decided to ignore that fact.

"Now where are the papers we have to sign?"