Midnight Coffee

I sat on the brown leather couch in the cold room. The man in front of me sat beside a woman and a boy that seemed to be a little bit older than me. There was another man beside me wiping my wrist with a wet cloth. My chest felt constricted as I saw him hold up the tattoo gun.

"You ready?" he asked, but I could see the lack of concern in his dull, blue eyes. I nodded despite the fact that my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest any second.

He pressed the sharp point down onto my skin and I closed my eyes as the pain started to settle in. It felt like a dozen bees stinging my wrist at the same time. Not that I've ever been stung by a bee before, but I imagined it to feel like this.

When he finished, the man sitting in front of me stood up with a mischievous smile on his face. He held out his hand and I could see the same tattoo on his wrist. The letter "G" printed in black ink with a fancy looking circle around it. I put my hand in his hand and he pulled me into a hug with the woman and boy joining in.

We pulled away a few seconds later.

"Welcome to the family business Ava," the man said with a hand on my shoulder.

A gasp escaped my lips as I sat up on the bed. The room was dark, and I looked down at the clock to see that it was 5 in the morning.

Great.

I jumped out of bed and shuffled into the bathroom. Without turning on the lights, I washed my face with cold water and brushed my teeth. When I was done, I walked over to the window and the small building across the street caught my interest. Knowing that I won't be able to fall back asleep anytime soon, I grabbed my jacket and exited the room.

I decided to use the stairs instead of the elevator even though I was on the 17th floor. I needed to get back in shape anyway. As I descended down the stairs, I counted each step I took to take my mind off the dream I had. Or memory. I don't know but it felt like a memory.

The small coffee shop I entered only had one customer and two people working behind the counter. I ordered a small coffee and sat down a table near the window to wait for my drink. I sighed out loudly to myself when my mind went back to the dream I had.

"Welcome to the family business Ava."

It was so frustrating and confusing to understand. I kept having these dreams ever since Rebecca tested on me for the first time. I don't ever remember my name being Ava either. I would tell the Director, but I can't trust him. I don't trust anyone anymore.

"Your boss doesn't care about you Ava," Rebecca sighed as she came towards me with the needle, containing the serum, in her hands.

I struggled under the straps and when she was beside me, she grabbed my arm tightly. I used the coldest glare I could mustered at the moment as she pressed the needle into my arm. I felt the cold serum traveling in my veins, all the way up to my brain. My vision became blurry and I blinked furiously.

"All he cares about is the strength that you possess."

"17!" The woman behind the counter yelled out, snapping me out of the strange memory playing in my head.

I got up from my chair and walked over to the cup of coffee sitting on the counter. The sound of a bell rung from the door, indicating that someone just entered. I grabbed the coffee and turned around to see non other than Louis Tomlinson walking towards the cashier.

"You have got to be kidding me," I muttered to myself. He walked past me, and just when I was about to leave, he called out my name.

I exhaled through my nostrils and turned around to face him with a fake smile. He was leaning his lower back against the counter with his hands crossed over his chest. The look of concern was on his face as he stared back at me.