At Fault

I looked around the room I was trapped in. It was cold and the fluorescent light was on too bright. There was a camera on the top corners of each walls.

I sat up on the bed I was on and realized that my hands were chained together behind my back.

I knew they were watching me. I could feel it. I was sick of this life. The life where I had to glance over my shoulder every minute to make sure I wasn't being followed. The life that will never be normal. I will never have a family.

I looked up at one of the cameras.

"You can do whatever you want with me. I'm not going to resist. At this point, I could care less," I talked to them through the camera.

A few moments later, I heard someone unlocking the door and a woman entered.

"Long time no see, Ava," she spoke and it sent a shiver through my body. That voice.

I looked up from my lap and set my eyes on hers.

"Who are you?" I asked in a monotone.

She walked further into the room with her 7 inch high heels. She had on a white lab coat and smelled like chemicals.

"I'm Rebecca," she introduced herself, "We've crossed paths before."

I didn't say anything else and she continued.

"Do you want your memories back, Ava?" she asked me.

I don't know if I do. I'm supposed to be a fearless person, but here I was, afraid of receiving back my memories.

Instead of giving her an answer, I averted my eyes back to my lap.

She sighed.

"Don't try anything stupid," she warned before leaving the room.

I threw my head back and stared at the white ceiling. I was ready to die.

Louis's POV:

I stared at the dinner table Ava and I were sitting at about an hour ago. The spaghetti was still sitting on the table and was probably cold now.

I remembered the look in her eyes after I put the needle into her skin. I look down at my folded hands.

"Louis?" I jumped up from the couch I was sitting on when I heard a voice at the door.

It was Alex.

She looked around the apartment and back at me.

"Where's Ava?" she asked.

"I-I-"

"Where is Ava?" Alex raised her voice, something I never heard before.

I sighed, "I had to help bring her back to where she belongs."

She widened her eyes and back away from me, "To the CIA?"

"You should leave before they come back for you too," I told her.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "How could you, out of all people, betray her like that? Ava loved you even though she might not have admitted that out loud. I saw it in her eyes when you left."

I scoffed, "You don't have to pretend anymore. I know that you, Ava, and Max have been playing me this entire time. You were using me this entire time as a part of your plan to take down the CIA."

"As a plan- oh my god, "Alex laughed humorlessly and bitterly, "You honestly believe that?"

I frowned.

"I'm sure they told you that Ava is strong because of a serum and that part is true, " Alex confirmed, "But using you as a part of a plan to take down the CIA? They manipulated you and you fell for it."

"No, they w-"

"You know what's going to happen now?" she asked through gritted teeth.

I shook my head.

"She is going to be experimented on like a lab rat, and they're going to kill her by draining all of her blood and use it to make more stronger super humans."

"You're lying," I shook my head vigorously.

"I don't lie, Louis," she laughed wryly, "But it turns out you do."

That was like a slap to my face.

She turned to walk out the door and I followed her.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

She abruptly stopped and turned around. I almost bumped into her and stopped. Her face was red with anger, and she looked like she was going to explode.

"You are so stupid! How could you do something like that?" she screamed at me and ran her fingers through her hair while pacing back and forth in front of me.

"I-"

"Shut up. Let me think," she held her palm up to my face and had a calculated look on her face. I stood there, watching her whisper to herself. Then she stopped pacing and whispering. Her eyes met mine, and I pictured a light turning on inside her head.

"I know someone who can help," she pulled out her phone and dialed in a number.

"Who?" I asked her as she waited for the person to pick up.

"Max," she answered.

I tensed up when I heard his name. I haven't forgotten about his threat to me and my mum.

"Max, I need your help."