Misfortunates

The sound of my door opening woke me up. It was midnight and someone was in my apartment. This has gotta be the CIA.

I grabbed the gun from under my pillow and put the silencer on. There was a huge crash in the living room and I opened my bedroom door to see a female figure holding onto the wooden table near the front door, which was opened. I turned on the lights to see her face more clearly.

"Alex?" I frowned. Her breathing was jagged and she had an arm wrapped over her bloody abdomen.

"Help," she gasped, "please."

I put my gun into my waistband and quickly caught her by the arm before she could hit her head on the ground. I lead her to to leather couch in the living room before running into the bathroom to get the first aid kit. I got back to her and pulled up her shirt to reveal a huge gash.

I quickly teared open a bag for sterile gauze and I applied it to her gash. I pushed down on the cut to help stop the bleeding.

"Stay with me Alex," I instructed her, "Keep your eyes open and on me,"

I applied more pressure on the wound and leaned down to check for her breathing. It was slowly fading.

I quickly wrapped a gauze around her torso where it will cover her wound. I made sure it was tight enough to stop the bleeding but not too tight. Then I began to give her CPR to get her to breathe normally again.

"Please, don't let me die. I don't want to leave," she pleaded while gasping for breath. I clenched my jaw with my concentration growing.

I ran into my room and grabbed a blanket. I rushed back to her and draped it over her shaking body.

I continued to give her CPR until her heartbeat and breathing started to come back. The bleeding had already stopped and I made sure to change it to a new one while she slept.

I replaced her bloody clothes with some of my clean ones and put hers in the washer. I checked her breathing from time to time to make sure that she was okay.

After an hour, I sat down on the small couch beside her and closed my eyes. I didn't bother changing into some clean clothes and just let the tiredness take over.

A thud made me wake up from my sleep and my eyes went to the injured Alex on the ground. I jumped out of the couch and carefully helped her back on the couch. The colors were returning to her skin, and her body temperature wasn't as cold as before.

"Thanks," her voice came out raspy. I grabbed the water bottle off the glass table near us and gently let the water go down her throat.

I sat back down on the couch I was on before and stared blankly at the wall.

"How'd you find me?" I asked.

It took a few minutes until she answered.

"Your brother and I have been in contact," she answered quietly.

My eyes turned over to her and I stood up, "What?"

"He wants you to stop looking for him," she told me. "He said that it's not safe."

"I don't give a damn about what he wants," I scoffed.

"I told him so," she laughed but then hissed from the pain.

"Who caused the gash?" I asked her.

She looked down at her bandaged abdomen.

"A homeless man wanted my money," she answered and I noticed the tears at the corners of her eyes, "But I couldn't shoot him. I felt sympathetic towards him. Even when he cut me, I just ran."