Chapter 5; The harsh way of life

(Above is a picture of Devons wolf form, except with green eyes.)

^^

I flopped down on my bed my hand coming down on top of my forehead as I let out a tired sigh. Letting out a groan I thought back to all the times that I would just run off into the woods, no problems in the world and just letting the wind through my fur...

I jolted upright, I hadn't heard from Lilac in a while... was everything ok? I reached out to her with my mind, 'Lilac?' I called out to her hoping to get an answer. 'Took ya long enough,' came the overly sassy voice of Lilac.

I let out a grunt of response and my eyes took on that glossy faraway look that you get while talking to your animal. In my case, Lilac. 'You've been awfully quiet lately..." I commented on, hugging a pillow to my chest. '... Can we go for a run at the track?' She asked out of the blue and immediately started trying to force me to shift. "Gosh OK OK!" I said out loud and looked up at the door to see it partially open, different voices echoing out of it. Two, I recognized as Chase and Devon. Then there was... Jack's voice? And one I didn't recognize.

Closing the door slightly more but leaving it open enough to squeeze out of in Leopard form I shifted, the sounds of breaking bones and tearing flesh echoed around the room as my body changed. Opening my eyes I saw I was remotely close to the floor and the sounds had stopped. But my vision increased as well as my hearing. Signaling the transformation had stopped. To make sure I flicked my white and black spotted tail into my line of vision then padded out of my room.

Starting down the hall my ears pricked up so I could hear the conversations more clearly;

"So your rooming with a girl?" That was the unknown voice.

"Yeah. What's it to you?" That was Devon, he seemed defensive.

"Nothing... just intrigued about the only girl in the entire school." 

"I don't see how that's any of your business..." That was Jack. Wait... why is he sticking up for me?

"Well, she's the talk of the school! A lot of boys are into her. Including me to say the least." He let out a chuckle and I could vaguely hear both Chase and Devon growling.

At this comment, my ears flattened and I had to swallow back a growl. I turned the corner into the main room to where the 4 boys seemed to be. My light violet eyes racking over them as my tail swished back and forth, upon seeing Jack. I forced my ears to stay up and had to fight Lilac on the decision to tackle him.

All eyes turned to me as I padded across the room in my snow leopard form to the front door. Realizing that I couldn't get out without hands I turned to the 4 boys my eyes narrowing slightly. The unknown boy, seeming to get the message got up from his spot on our couch and went over to the door, eyeing me up the whole time.

I let out a low growl, my eyes flashing dangerously and he turned his gaze away and opened the door. It squeaked on its hinges, and my ears flattened at the sudden noise. Not taking a second glance I left the room and continued through the hall.

My thoughts were spinning in my head, Classes, Boys, Friends foes? WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE BOYS!' I let out a huff and continued to the track. Don't get me wrong I love hanging out with Devon and Chase, but its boys like HIM that get me angry. Shoving the double doors open with my head I continued my heart rate picking up as the stress settled in. 

Walking over to a white line drawn across the track as a starting position I climbed into a crouch trying to dull my thoughts. With little success, I broke away from the line in a full sprint, all I could hear was my heartbeat in my ears and my paws pounding over the track. My breath caught in my throat as I leaped... the strange thing was I stayed in the air still running.