Chapter 19; Train

(Ok, so this is kind of a filler chapter because I've been kind of busy with starting up my other book BAT. Go check it out if you want- I feel like the writing has somehow improved in that book. Course, you don't have too :3. Sorry for rambling! Enjoy the chapter!)

SAPPHIRE'S POV

I was crouched near the small fire, my arms crossed and resting on my knees as I looked at the glowing a licking flames. So free. So bright.

"I'm cold!"

Moment. Ruined. I let out a loud groan and shot to my feet, spinning on my heel to glare at Liam who in turn, glared at me. "Suck it up wolf! Just shift if you're cold!" I hissed and he growled in return.

I snarled loudly, my lips pulling back. We were all tired and snappy, and I had excess energy. Without waiting for much consent from Lilac, I shifted and pounced into the dark woods.

This is where I felt most at home. The leaves filtered in the moonlight that decorated the patches of snow and grass in a graceful silver mist. My breath fogged in front of me as the only disturbance in the night. I closed my eyes lightly and stopped, my paws resting in a snowdrift. I took a deep breath and let out the annoyance a little bit.

I sat down and just gazed around the woods. It had a mystic aura that made me want to run and skip and dance around, and yowl into the night. But alerting anyone of our presence in the woods made me want to throw up. I was not ready for battle. Lilac was tired, I was tired. We couldn't keep doing the exhaustion dance for long.

"Hey." My head snapped around and my tail lashed as I growled lowly at my ashy blonde friend for scaring me. Chase chuckled, "sorry, I didn't want to disturb you." His sunset eyes seemed luminous in the half-light.

I let out a huff through my nose as if to say it was alright before settling down on the ground. My ears swiveled as I heard him come up next to me and sit down. "You look stressed." He commented.

I rolled my eyes to him and gave him a deadpan stare. He chuckled awkwardly again and rubbed at the back of his neck. It was silent for a few moments before he spoke again, "I know you already have a lot on your shoulders, but I just need someone to talk to for maybe 20 minutes. Y'know... about the ring..." He ended quieter.

I shifted my weight onto my side and rested my head on my paws, twitching my tail and fixing my eyes on his dark form.

He gave me a hesitant smile and hugged his knees to his chest. I gave him time to collect his thoughts before nudging him gently with my nose when he looked close to closing up. "Right... um... when I was there, I only fought because of necessity. Y'know, it was real scary being up close with high-level stone wielders and not beings able to much. I've been shocked, burned, sliced, punctured and stabbed. And I realized there, what they were doing. Whether it was intentional or not, I figured something out."

I gave him my full attention as I listened, and winced when imagining what he went through. I wish I had gotten to him sooner. I wish Devon could have gotten to him sooner. We pretend to be all though on the outside, yet we all have our limits. I broke mine when I went into that ring to get him back. And so did Chase.

He took a deep breath before continuing. "I think their training the people in the ring Saph. I think that they are going to use those people, with and against their own will. For what, I have no idea. But that's what I figured out." His eyes met mine and we stared at each other. 'I wondered what my eyes held in them. Was it understanding, was it fear? Fear for the future. Fear for what we have to do. A bunch of mismatched teenagers with some fancy powers.'

I snorted and rolled onto the pads of my paws, nosing him up along with me. 'If they are training for a battle, or a war, we have to aswell.'

I backed up a bit, tail lashing as I got into a battle crouch, the muscles under my coat bending at will into the familiar position. Chase got the message and gave me a singular nod. He shifted and we stood akimbo, feet away from each other. Wolf and Leopard, tensed and battle-ready.

I struck first. Keeping my claws sheathed I pressed into the ground with my hind paws and jumped clear in the air. Chase's wolf turned to look up and calculate where I would land, but I squared my shoulders dove behind him, sending a massive paw into his side and knocking him over.

He was on his paws in a matter of milliseconds.

We trained. We trained and trained and trained. And later into the night Devon and Jack joined us. We squared up and sent attacks in animal form, and magic attacks in human form.

We where winning whatever this was. I didn't care if it took forever. We were winning. If it threated innocents, we were winning. We just needed to figure out what we up against first. 

(Thank you so much for reading, and thank you for sticking around with my un-godly upload schedule. I love you guys- Comment, Vote, and share if you like the chapter!)

(Word count: 943)

~Kat