Chapter 20; Subtly and Insights

LIAM's POV

Honestly, when I thought about it, there was a lot of pent up jealousy that made me the way I am toward Sapphire and her friends. Even though she had been mentally and physically abused by both me and her aunt, she was still happy. I hadn't gotten to the point where I could even accept a part of me. I'd never tell anyone anyway.

I pressed my lips into my knee and silently contemplated my existence like every moody teenager would. Why did I have to exist? Why did my parents have to be stupid enough to have kids?

I could feel my eyes going glassy, so I shifted my face down to hide my eyes.

"Hey, Liam,"

I shocked slightly and pressed my eyes into my knees to make sure I wasn't crying before I looked up and glared at Jack, "what?" That came out meaner than intended.

He gave me a look and I glanced down at the fire, shivering slightly. Jack's personality and mine clashed a lot for no reason, but we always managed to make up. He looked somewhat like me too. Jack was just an inch shorter but was lanky and faster. His hair was relatively the same color as my own, but he had natural golden blonde streaks from his wolf, including topaz blue eyes.

Snow and leaves crunched as he made his way over and sat down next to me. I then noticed that he was slightly out of breath and his hands where shaking, but not because of the cold.

He pressed lightly into my side and I gave him a confused glare, he just grinned with his teeth, "thought you looked cold." He wasn't wrong. I set my chin back down on my knees and gazed at the fire.

We were silent for a while, enjoying each other's company as I thought about my pitiful life and the idiot revelation that had been in front of my face for 3 years. 'Sometimes, you're just an idiot.' My wolf, Ethan replied helpfully. I blocked him out again, a frown tugging on my lips.

"I saw you haven't been sleeping well lately," Jack commented, but when I looked at him, he was staring a snowdrift with a blush on his face. I blinked. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye before returning his gaze, "...just thought I'd tell you..."

"Wait what? Why bring it up if you're weren't curious?" I lifted my head and loosened my arms, tilting my head to the side and making my brown bangs fall into my eyes.

Jack's topaz blue eyes met mine again, "it's not my business. You never seemed like the type to want to talk about your feelings either... I just thought you would snap at me for bringing it up..." He trailed.

I paused and thought for a second. "I probably would of..." I grumbled in a reluctant agreement.

He seemed surprised I agreed before a worried look slid across his face. He nudged me with his arm slightly, "what's up? Are you ok?" He asked softly looking concerned.

I stared at the fire while he looked at me. Was I ok? Yes. I wasn't depressed or anything. I was curious. And worried. Just a little. "I'm alright." I sighed and let my constricting hold on my arms go slightly. I sent him a small smile, attempting to ease my best friend's worries, "just figuring things out." I mumbled.

He still looked concerned, but it softened slightly at my smile. He quickly looked away and cleared his throat, "I'm just gonna... go find the others..." His voice cracked at the beginning of the sentence and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, alright." I closed off again. The moment was over. Was it even a moment? I thought dejectedly and watched as his face changed to flash some sort of hurt. Jack turned and started away, dragging his feet slightly, like he was waiting for me to tell him to stat. But I wasn't going too. Did I wish it was a moment? I continued the thought, watching Jack's back.

"Jackson!" I stopped him, he turned, surprised I used his full name. I shot him another smile, "thanks."

A blush slowly slid across his face and he nodded jerkily, turning and leaving with bright ears. I tilted my head again. There might be an answer somewhere.  

(A/N So... I uh... I don't really have an excuse? I apologize for putting out promises and not being able to keep them. A friend told me, and I quote "But if you make promises to them (my readers)  that you'll keep writing, you actually weaken that guilty sense of duty you have inside of you."

Therefore, I will no longer be making promises, and I'm sorry. I want you all to know I haven't given up on the story, however, and just felt a sense of disconnect because of how the voice the story is written in, and the fact I started it when I was 12... 

If you enjoyed this chapter, and look forward to the next, please consider voting (it makes me happy) and comment (I literally live to see your comments on what the characters say). I'll see you all in the next chapter ;3)

(word count; 731)

~Kat