Playthings- Part 5

Sherwin was there, behind the bar, cleaning the glasses. You and Dean both sat down with a sigh, glad the bar was empty.

There wasn't really any people here besides you, Dean and Sam right now.

"Find any good antiques?" Sherwin asked and Dean looked at him in confusion.

"No, we didn't. We got distracted." You said, answering for Dean.

"Yeah, with the recent events, you can't help but get distracted." Sherwin said, pouring you and Dean a drink. Dean immediately downed his and you handed your drink to him.

"Poor guy, huh?" You said, looking at the man.

"That kind of thing seems to be happening a whole lot around here lately."

"Yeah, yeah, I heard about the other ones. It's almost like this hotel is, uh, cursed or something." Dean said.

"Every hotel has its spilled blood. If people only knew what's gone on in some of those rooms they've checked into." Sherwin said with a short chuckle, seemingly remembering things that happened before you.

"You know a lot about the place, right?" You asked, thinking this would be a good time to get some answers.

"More than I know myself."

"We'd love to hear some stories." You said with a smile.

"You shouldn't say that to an old man. But instead of tell you, how about I show you? Follow me." Sherwin said, walking away from the bar. You looked and Dean and he shrugged, downing the drink you gave him before taking your hand. You followed Sherwin up the stairs into one of the quiet hallways.

"This is little Miss Susan, and her mother Rose. Happier days." Sherwin said, pointing to some old photographs on the wall.

"They're not happy now?" You asked, watching him.

"Well, would you be, leaving the only home you ever knew?" He asked. Fair enough.

"I don't know. I never knew one." Dean said truthfully.

"I'll be your home." You whispered to him so that he could only hear. Dean looked down at you with a loving smile. You and he both knew you were each other's home.

"Well, this is Rose's home. It's been in the family over a century. Used to be the family estate and now she gets to live in some senior living graveyard, and they tear this place down."

"I heard Rose isn't feeling too well." Dean said, following Sherwin down the hall to the stairs again.

"No, she isn't."

"What's wrong with her?" You asked.

"It's not my business to say." You nodded and sighed slightly, looking around the place. Your eyes landed on a photo of two toddlers with a young black woman with a quincunx necklace. The same thing you saw on the urns when you arrived.

"Who is this?" You asked, pointing to the photo. Sherwin picked it up with a smile, as if he was there that day.

"That's Rose, when she was a little girl."

"And who is that with her?" You asked.

"That is her nanny, Marie. She looked after Rose more than her own mother." You nodded and looked at Dean who nodded slightly.

"Well, I really appreciate you telling us your stories, but, we should really get to bed. We have a big day tomorrow." You said with a smile.

"More antique searching?" Sherwin asked with a smile.