Chapter 13

The Langa had given me some serious wounds and they sting worst when the adrenaline rush subsides  they get exposed to air.

" Is there any way to stop my blood ?" Any ability ?" I ask as the Prince busies himself with swiftly tearing the edge of his purple cape.

" I'm a warrior the only abilities I posses are of destruction"  , Yet with surprising gentleness he takes my wounded arm and sets about carefully wrapping with the piece of cloth.

Though the Prince has calloused hands of a warrior they are quick and efficient.I wonder how many times in a battle he had to do such thing for himself or his companion soldiers.

" This will hurt a little " he says softly as he tightens the cloth with a knot . The bolt of pain is quick and makes me wince but it passes away within a second.

Next he turns his ministrations towards my wounded leg. Pressing his fingers around the area examining if I have broken bones then satisfied when he finds none  he sets about tying the piece of cloth around it .

It is surprising how someone who claims to know only about abilities of destruction can be so gentle .

I resist the urge to fiddle with the cloth tied around my arm and above my knee as I lie down to sleep

The Prince as usual stays watchful and awake guarding me from the various horrors of the forest.

I wish he would take some rest and get some sleep but I also know he would refuse to do so.

Sighing I close my eyes and drift into a dreamless sleep.

The limp goes away after a couple of days and I start my sword fighting lessons again.

Sometimes the Prince  instructs me sometimes he is off into the forest letting me practice by myself.

Though he doesn't tell me I know what he does inside the forest .

He scours the area for Ayelet's assassins . I know he had done the same thing the night when he allowed me to go on the hunt .

Though this makes me feel protected in a way I can't help but wonder that even after all my training am I still no match for those assassins ?

The Prince had said the assassins use weapons laced with deadly black magic that sucks strength and power from their victim .
and also that they usually prefer to move in pairs or groups .That way they can be sure if one of them fails the other can get the opponent.

" You need to not only be skilled with sword but also be cunning to win against them " The Prince had instructed .

Lately more often than not I have began wondering how I would fare in a combat against one of them . Will I win or end up dead?

I'm not delusional to think about fighting them when I have not honed any of my element abilities but what will my position be if it was only a sword fight minus magic ?

Are my sword fighting skills on par with them ?

The Prince is my tutor. He is formidable in his own right. Will I do justice to him ?

After a long while the Prince arrives though he had always been a silent person who is an expert at keeping his emotions hidden behind the familiar mask of inscrutable impassivity there is a feeling of disappointment that comes off him and I know I could see it only because be had decided to show it to me ,and soon enough I find the reason " The forest has split alliances"

" What is that supposed to mean ?" I'm quick to ask though I have a sinking feeling what his answer will be.

" Parts of the forest have decided to side with Ayelet "

" Will this make things difficult for us ?"

" Considerably " The Prince replies and though I know that as well hearing him confirm makes my gut twist with worry .

" We will have to choose our sanctuary carefully or any resting places until we reach your stronghold "

I look around at the huge green tress around me they seem so peaceful and serene it makes me sigh.

" My mother had always loved greenery " words slip out of my mouth absentmindedly " She had always wanted a garden of her own"

The Prince eyes me for a long moment and then speaks " You seem very close to your mother"

I recall he must have seen me with my mother several times when he watched over me from the shadows before that fateful day when he finally appeared before my eyes in the boys changing room and got me to this realm.

More like threw me over his shoulder . It still makes me feel indignant when I think about it but I don't feel bitter about it anymore .

" I am " I reply joyfully. This is the first time he is initiating anything close to a conversation
" Though I'm sure she will have different view about the greenery here."

" Given that she is a human she will "

" What was your mother like ?" I dare to ask .

His handsome face softens and a gentle far away look comes in his eyes " She was beautiful and kind but unfortunately time hadn't been merciful enough and took her too early from me "

" I'm sorry to hear that " I say feeling sad for the Prince " I'm sure you must be close to your father "

And just like that his entire face closes off , hardening into the mask that betrays no emotions.

Feeling like an idiot I open my mouth to .......what ? Apologize may be ?

I have no clue why but the mention of his father had caused a sudden change in him.

Made him the closed off and distant Prince again .

________________________________________________________________________

Things are progressing slowly between Amelia and the Djinn Prince .

Any guesses why the Prince is pissed off with his father ?

Comment and vote : )