Chapter 6

Saturday, July 17, 2021 - 9:20pm
Shen's Temple

Jean's POV

He cut the leaf into two.

Maurer finally did it.

Napagdesisyonan ko puntahan siya at kausapin. He sat down, smiling at the leaf he cut clean. His smile held a quiet sense of pride, and the way he stood—steady, calm—showed a deeper satisfaction.

"Good job," I complimented. I stared at him with my arms crossed.

Napatango lang siya at umupo sa ilalim ng puno. The moonlight and the soft glow from the lanterns bathed his sweat-covered face, making it shine under the night sky, "Thank you" he answered as he sat under the tree. He leaned his back so I joined him. Naging tahimik kaming dalawa dahil hindi naman kami masyadong nag-uusap.

Napatingin ako sa mga dahon na nahulog at sinubukan niyang hiwayin pero laking gulat ko sa nakita ko

They were clean-cut leaves. A lot of them weren't completely cut. Some were cut in half, but it's not perfectly cut.

He has completed this test already

What was he trying to do?

Was he aiming for perfection?

"So ano na? Itutuloy ko pa ba bukas yung susunod na mga test? Malapit narin mangyari ang ball," I was too distracted about the leaves that I forgot to answer him.

He's completely different from Christian. While Christian relies on strength, Adrian is careful and detailed. Hindi ko mapigilang mag-isip—ano pa ang kaya niyang gawin kung bibigyan siya ng oras?

"Jean, huwag kang mag-alala," he paused,"I'm your partner, remember?" he gave me a smile reassuring me that everything was fine. Oh, he thinks I'm worried about that event. I am worried, but I am more impressed with Adrian's skills.

There was a moment of silence. The stillness of the night wrapped around us, the rustling leaves above reminding me of how quickly everything was moving.

Hindi na kami nagsalita pa kaya, hindi ko na maiwasang isipin mangyayari. It's all happening so fast. I have Adrian to babysit, Christian who could still be a puppet who lost control from his puppeteer, and an event that could lead me back to the king—a confrontation where one of us might not survive.

I looked up at the moon peeking between the large leaves. It is a good weather tonight.

Naalala ko tuloy nung unang paglalaban namin ng king. He left a scar on my shoulder. It was the day he killed my father and all I could do was fight back. But I was still weak. Pinatay nila ang mga magulang ka na para bang may ginawa silang masama. Ano ba ang nagawa ng Zander sa kanila?

I still have to ask Shen about it but I just keep getting distracted from other things that I forget to ask him.

Ano ang itinatago ng tatay ko bukod sa pagiging agent sa Black Eagles?

There's still so much I don't know. My father left behind a message, his dying words. But he didn't give it to me—he entrusted it to Shen. Master Shen said he'd tell me when the time is right. But when is that? Time is running out, and the puppets are already attacking. That message could hold the key to stopping them.

I see Shen as a second father. He didn't mourn my father's death, not outwardly at least. Instead, he focused on training me, pushing me to become the agent my father wanted me to be. If the puppets knew Shen was still alive, they'd have killed him by now. But he's kept himself hidden all these years.

Am I ready for what's to come?

Is this ball a trap? A way to lure me out of Shen's protection and destroy him? They know I need that message...