Chapter 26

Thursday, September 9, 2021 - 08:30pm
Jean Zander's Residence

Shiro's POV

"We are assisting her in guarding Master Shen. We think that the king knows he's alive," Kuro reported.

"We? You didn't think that did you?" said our grandfather through the video call.

Natahimik kaming dalawa ni Kuro. Wala rin namang mangayayri kung magsisinunvaling pa kami.

"It was Jean's," sagot ko. We held each other's hands where he wouldn't see. It's how we control ourselves from exploding and telling this old man that we are sick and tired of his orders

We watched him lean back on his chair and sighed in disappointment.

"Jean Zander does not need to work everything out and you just follow her like a lost duckling. Do better!"

"Hai..."

Binaba niya na yung tawag. Kuro and I sighed in relief, then he stood up angrily.

"Don't you think this is unfair?! We didn't agree to this shit! And—how are we supposed to help Jean Zander when she doesn't fucking accept any help?!" he screamed, scratching his head aggressively. Jean accepted us to help her, but we feel like we are not being useful enough yet.

Hindi ako nakasagot sa kanya. Sinubukan kong pigilan yung iyak ko.

We can't do anything about this. This has been our life ever since we were born. We follow orders and that's what we will do for the rest of our life. We are stuck. We're the same as the puppets. We might as well be the puppets.

He calmed down but he started to cry. It broke my heart to see him like this, so my tears fell.

Kuro and I are on the edge. No one can save us. We just have each other's back but we can't do anything else. I can't deal with our own grandfather now, too. I can't.

I am tired. We're both tired.

We can't even talk to our own mother until we complete Jean's mission. And if we fail... we might lose her too.

Fuck this curse.

There was a knock on our door. Kuro and I quickly wiped our tears and pretended that we are back to normal.

I stood up and opened it enough so I can peek my head through.

"Christian made dinner," said Jean. I noticed the cat on her shoulder. They both look adorable.

"Okay... we're coming," sagot ko pero hindi siya umalis. I feel like asking her that we need more time to recollect after finishing speaking with grandfather but she might ask questions. Nanatili lang siyang nakatayo habang nakatitig sa akin.

It was weirding me out. So instead of asking, I slowly closed the door.

"After this, you're going back to Japan?" tanong niya kaya napatigil ako. Why is she asking this?

"Yes. Maybe. Well, we may have to report in person and we'll see by then if they give us another order," sagot ko sa kanya. It's unclear what our future will be. Hindi nga namin alam kung mananatili kaming buhay.

Biglang lumapit si Kuro sa akin at binuksan yung pinto na hawak hawak ko, "Why are you asking?" suplado niyang tanong kay Jean. Pasimple ko siyang kinurot ko siya sa tagiliran para tumigil siya sa ginagawa niya.