𝖛𝖎. Down the Rabbit Hole

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖝down the rabbit hole

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖝
down the rabbit hole

SHE LEARNED ABOUT it after Herbology had ended. She was walking down a corridor with books in her hand when she felt something grab onto her wrist and drag her, forcefully and so hard that she couldn't fight back, into the girl's bathroom. It wasn't the one everyone used – this one had the pessimistic spirit of Moaning Myrtle, a girl who had died while she was studying at Hogwarts and had decided to haunt the place where she had been killed – and when she got in and the door was slammed shut, the force on her wrist gone, she looked at her kidnapper in anger.

          Only to find that it was Calypso. Her cousin with a frantic expression after she had tugged her cousin into the bathroom without any witnesses. So, of course, Maia had only one response, "What the hell, Cal?"

          It came out as a hiss as she rubbed her arm where Calypso had grabbed her. Her cousin had used a lot of force and her arm was stinging now because of it.

          "Sorry," Calypso apologized once she saw how hurt Maia was from her use of force, "I have to tell you something."

          Immediately, Maia frowned at her. Calypso looked incredibly serious, as if it was something dire, and Maia leaned forward. But, with her words she dangled the news in front of her face without telling her, trying to entrance her into listening and not just storming out of the bathroom so she wouldn't be late for class. No, the information she wanted was just out of reach which was something Calypso wanted.

          Calypso wanted her to ask, wanted her to be interested, and wanted her to say yes to whatever she was asking. Her own cousin was trying to play her like a god and if she knew any better she should just walk out. It probably wasn't even that serious. This was probably just all a ploy, a prank on her. It wasn't as if her dad and uncle weren't known for those kind of things.

          But still, even though it could be a joke, Calypso looked too serious. She was an insanely good actor if this was all a joke anyway. So Maia believed her and started thinking of the worse she could. It could be something with Umbridge – Calypso had already gotten detention with her – or maybe another teacher. Or...what if it had nothing to do with school? What if it has something to do with the Order? With You-Know-Who?

          "What's going on, Cal? Are you alright? Did something happen back...there?" Maia leaned forward even more when she added the last part.

          It was easier to just say 'there' instead of naming the location – safer, too, since no one was supposed to know and there could really be ears anywhere. The house where they stayed, where Aunt Mel, no Remelda, grew up. The house where Maia stayed silent, staring at a blank wall every day because she had just learned that her whole life was a lie. Everything she thought she knew about herself wasn't true; they were all fabricated lies because her mother wasn't actually her mother. No; they weren't true at all.