𝖝. Sacrificial Lamb

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖊𝖓sacrificial lamb

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖊𝖓
sacrificial lamb

         THE GREENES WERE a fearless family, stubborn in every way with conviction in their tone; once they had an opinion on something, it was not going to be changed for anyone. And even though by blood Maia was not apart of this family, she was by nurture which was just as powerful as nature.

She was raised to always go with her gut and stick to it, never changing for anyone, and to fully believe in everything you're in otherwise you won't be fully committed. She was raised by fury-eyed Nadia Greene whose electric blue pierced into the souls of all who saw her; it made her great at her job. Nadia would never back down and her eyes showed that to the world, but they were also the kindest color that Maia had ever known.

By nature, she knew she was supposed to be in full support of a wicked man who hated her brother and his kind. By nature, she was supposed to fall in line with her parents and become a child soldier, trading her life for this man's and it was supposed to be fine and dandy; she was supposed to want it but she didn't. Because her nature was not her nurture, and her nurture showed her grace and full goodness on display that her nature could never dream of.

By nurture, she was supposed to stand up to her father and the other Death Eaters, tell them to go fuck themselves because she would never ever even dream of becoming the thing that had killed Lily and James Potter.

And yet, even through all of this, she was having to commit herself to something that she didn't fully believe in and she was allowing herself to be persuaded. There was no other choice for her other than receiving the mark and becoming the thing that her birth father wanted more than anything and what her adoptive mother hated more than anything. Really, her entire adoptive family.

Because the Blacks had a rough history with them, seeing as the generation before her was the first to break away from the evil clutches of their ancestors and become something more; something better. Sirius Black was the first, starting with his assortment into Gryffindor house and then when he ran away from home and was decidedly called a bloodtraitor by the family.

The next was Remelda, or Regulus. She knew that the younger brother had faked his death – a new fact that she had just learned over Christmas with some of the others – and then after that Remelda had broken away from the family, no longer a royal but an outcast to them. It occurred around the same time and officially Regulus Black was dead and he wasn't a bloodtraitor so things were a little sticky there...

And some part of Maia knew that if she came forth she would be protected; all of them would have to move out of fear, disappearing into the night, but that wasn't the life Maia wanted to give them. Remelda and Nadia had never everything for her and Leo, she understood that now, and she could not repay their kindness by making them leave their lives and their names because of her father again.