Chapter 24: Awakening

Tiki stooped down gracefully, pulling the Emblem free from the debris. The dust and bits of stone slid off its golden surface like water, and in the divine oracle's hands, the Gemstones seemed to breathe with an otherworldly aura.

Chrom felt Tiki's delicate hands on his as she passed the shield to him, placing it firmly in his palms.

"I'm sorry... that your bond was not enough to fend off the darkness."

Chrom shook his head. "She's not lost to us yet. We can still fight – and we haven't lost until we stop fighting."

"...Indeed." Tiki looked up at the silhouette of the Fell Dragon in the sky, as it turned away from the Dragon's Table and headed west. "Grima has not yet caught on to our possession of the Shield of Flames. If you make haste... perhaps you will be able to complete the Awakening rite in time."

"I've heard that the first Exalt paid tribute to Naga at a place called Mount Prism," Cordelia murmured. "But I've never seen or been to such a place before."

"I can take you there," Tiki said, "but you must be prepared for what awaits you – to receive Naga's power, you must first stand before her flames."

"What happens if he can't withstand it?" Lucina asked quietly.

Tiki's gaze turned to the princess. "Then Chrom will die."

Lucina shook her head. "We can't let you take that risk, Father – if one of us has to, it should be me. The people need you more than they—"

"Luci," Chrom held the Emblem under one arm, and pulled his daughter to him with the other. "I need you to have faith in me. It has to be me... while I have utmost faith that you are pure enough of heart, we don't know how Elysa's – Grima's – bloodline could affect you during the ritual. And... your mother put herself at the mercy of the Fell Dragon for our sakes; it's my duty to do the same before Naga."

"Father..." Lucina bit her lip, not unlike how Elysa would often do. Chrom felt his heart ache.

"Even if hope may be shrinking, some hope is better than none," Cordelia nodded firmly.

"Right." Chrom tightened his grip around the Emblem and his daughter. "Then let's go."

Tiki opened her palms, and they were surrounded by a flux of bright lights, until the ruins of the Dragon's Table faded away around them.

The sheets were soft around her bare legs, the pillow under her cheek plush and fresh. She stirred slightly, and a lock of her hair fell across her face, tickling her nose. She stifled a tiny sneeze, cracking her eyes open as she brushed her hair aside. Even through the drawn shades, the harsh light from outside gave the room a dim glow. Beside her, the bed was empty, although Chrom's familiar scent lingered on the sheets. She sat up, pulling the blankets off of herself slowly, and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. Her bare feet touched the floor, and though the sensation should have been familiar, the cold marble tiles sent a strange shock throughout her body.