Chapter 11: Renewal

"Chrom."

He heard her call his name, but it sounded far away, as though he were in a bubble.

"Chrom, please."

He bent over, placing his hands on his knees. His boots sank into the mud, dotted with growing puddles of rainwater. The rain fell at a steady pace, dripping off his hair and down his face, mingling indiscriminately with his tears.

Then she grabbed his face, her soft hands cupping his chin firmly, moving his head up. "We have to go."

Chrom's senses returned to the present. His vision focused on Elysa, and then past her, where the others were either mounted on their respective beasts or sitting atop a wooden wagon. Basilio stood on the front seat, next to the driver, a pink-haired girl dressed in white dancer's clothes.

"Move it, boy!" Basilio bellowed. Elysa grabbed his arm, and pulled with all her might. He staggered forwards, and Flavia and Vaike yanked him up into the wagon.

 He staggered forwards, and Flavia and Vaike yanked him up into the wagon

"Milady," Frederick offered her his hand. "Give him a moment to himself."

Lissa sniffled, moving past the knight. "Princess, you'll catch a cold out here," Lon'qu said quietly, placing a hand on Lissa's back as he ushered her inside rather than wait for her brother – an unusually tender act for the typically cold swordsman. Lissa looked up at Chrom once more, and opened her mouth to say something, but instead turned away, following Lon'qu into the building.

Elysa took Frederick's offered hand, and began to step down from the wagon, but she felt a tug. Surprised, she looked over her shoulder. Chrom had his hand on the hem of her cloak. He pressed his eyes shut tightly before looking up at her.

"Elysa... Wait," he said hoarsely. "...you can go, Frederick."

Frederick obediently released Elysa's hand, after making sure she had firm footing, and gave them a small bow before wordlessly heading after Lissa and Lon'qu.

Chrom released her cloak, and she sat back down, across from him. She pulled the edges of her hood a little further around her face in an effort to shield herself from the rain, and folded her hands in her lap.

"Chrom, I... I'm so sorry. I wasn't... I couldn't—"

"You did your best, Elysa," Chrom said, looking up at her. His eyes were slightly reddened, and he drew a shuddering breath. "And you have my thanks. You came back to us at our time of need, and... and it is only my own failures that I have to blame. Gods..." He bent his head again, his fist clenching in frustration. "I was so powerless!"

"It was not your fault," Elysa said insistently.

Chrom shook his head. "She... She did it for me, Elysa. So that I wouldn't have to live with the guilt of choosing her or the Emblem, she chose for me. She sacrificed herself rather than give up what could one day save her people... For a 'what if' situation." He clenched his fist.