Chapter 20

As the music stopped, my heart was still racing, and I caught Khian's intense gaze. His dark brown eyes seemed to be pulling me in, and he offered his arms with a grin.

"You look beautiful," he said casually.

Returning the compliment, I replied, "You're looking pretty dashing yourself."

With a mischievous glint, he leaned closer and whispered, "There's someone I want you to meet." Taking his arm, we strolled over to a group of people, where a woman in a chic off-shoulder black dress noticed us and quickly joined our circle.
Her delicate diamond earrings and shimmering choker added a touch of elegance to her face. Khian  affectionately kissed her cheek.

"Mother, meet Sharmaine Lorenzo," she introduced me, leaving me wide-eyed with surprise as I glanced at Khian.

His mother? That was unexpected.

"It's lovely to finally meet you, dear," she exclaimed warmly, planting gentle kisses on my cheeks.

"You have exquisite taste, Khian; this girl is stunning," she complimented warmly.

"I've known your parents for so long now, but this is the first time I've seen you at the Elite Gala. What brought you here?" she inquired curiously.

"I've been studying in New York, so I haven't been able to attend events like this," I explained.

"Ah, I understand. Well, it seems this is your debut then. I hope you enjoy yourself at the gala," she remarked, glancing discreetly at Kei. "Take care of her," she whispered, although I could hear her clearly.

Khian and I exchanged amused glances and excused ourselves, finding a spot near a cocktail table. I admired the extravagant designs at the event, although engaging with other elites about topics I wasn't particularly interested in was a bit dull.

Business - related, money, fame, it's actually pretty boring.

“How about I'll get you some champagne?” he offered.

“Yes please” I said.

Unexpectedly he kissed me on my cheek “I'll be right back”

I wanted to scream as my heart raced, following his steps, when suddenly, a man appeared beside me. Dressed in a black tuxedo with a crisp white shirt, his hair perfectly styled, he smiled at me, sending a shiver down my spine. His aura was intimidating, and I felt a wave of nervousness wash over me as I glanced at him.

He held a glass of champagne in one hand, adding to the enigmatic air that surrounded him.

"Why hello there, pretty lady," he greeted with a suave smile.

"Good evening. Do I know you?" I asked, unable to tear my gaze away from him, a sense of unease creeping over me.

His sharp jawline and defined features caught my attention, especially as he sipped his champagne casually.

"Sorry to barge in, m'lady. I'm Damian Cortes," he introduced himself smoothly.

"Sharmaine Lorenzo," I introduced myself.

"I know you, the secret daughter of the Lorenzos. It's nice to meet you," he acknowledged.

Forcing a smile, I corrected him, "Not really a secret. I was studying in New York."

"Hmm?" He sipped his champagne and studied me. "It looks like a secret to me. Secrets have a way of coming to light at the right time," he smirked.

His words sent a shiver down my spine, sensing a hidden agenda beneath his charming facade. It felt like he wanted to reveal something to me, but I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was.