A strain

A/N: The end of this chapter hurt to write ugh :(. School hurts me more though. 

Michelle POV

Today was the day; I was going to Rhode Island with my parents. I wouldn't call them mum or dad yet - no matter how much they wanted it. I was nervous but Peter said that was to be expected with anyone n any situation despite someone who had gone through what I had. His foot was still incredibly painful and I felt bad for leaving him n such a state.

"I'll be fine" he comforts me "don't worry about me. It's only 5 days"

"5 days without you. What will I do if I have another nightmare?"

"MJ. You have to go" Peter says noticing Pepper standing outside the glass doors. 

I give him a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek before jumping down to meet  Pepper, who had become like my personal chauffeur. This time I search for her hand and she squeezes reassuringly. Once we arrive at the sickening of the foster home, she goes to tidy my braid. 

"Now call me if there are any problems, won't you, if you feel unsure at any time, I'll come get you, ok? But try and stay the whole weeks, these guys are your parents there willing to give you a home, so give them a chance. Don't be put off by the distance, this is your future, we'll find a way around it. Just enjoy yourself" Pepper smilies. 

My parents are waiting outside for me, they are ready to go. Everything was happening to fast and I couldn't take it. 

"What's overflowing in your handbag?" Mother asks

"Oh, books... Harry Potter in fact" I reply, smirking at Pepper as she gets in the car.

"Oh really," Mother says trying to hide her look of disgust.

I get in the car and prepare for the journey. It is long but I get to see sights I had never seen before. They were exquisite, every bit of it. We went through dark tunnels and came out to glistening palm trees. It was magical. When we got nearer to Rhode Island it was as if reality was altered. The water was so calming; a shade of turquoise I had never seen before. We talked and chatted over the quiet radio. I can't remember what about but I finally felt at home with these people...

We decided we would go out for dinner, seeming the drive had taken longer than expected, we went to a drive-in diner and ate burgers and chips until we were full. Until I had forgotten how awkward, I felt around these people. I documented the whole thing to Peter of course, who was very happy to see I was getting the family I deserved. 

Their house was a small two bedroom terrace with a little porch and my room, though nothing special was my room. My room that I had all too myself. It was decently sized and I started to imagine where things would go 

I stayed up all night, reading. I was now on book 2 of the Harry Potter series and couldn't put it down. Because of this, I fell straight asleep. No nightmares. When I woke the next day, we decided to go straight to the beach. There, we played and paddled in the sea, before laying down on the golden sound. It was a magical experience and for once I felt at home.

Peter POV

It was 5 pm and I still had no reply from MJ from today. I was beginning to get worried but Pepper said I should leave it but I couldn't help but panic, this was what I did. What I had always done when it came to her. 

*ding*

Was it her? I picked the phone quickly to see if it was. I read the message aloud to myself.

"Hey, I don't think we've met, I'm Denver. Michelle's dad. I know you care about her but if you could please maybe not phone her as much. I mean we just want her to settle in for the moment. Is that ok?"

My heart fell. I wanted the best for her, so I had to do it right? A shoot of pain runs up my spine but this time it is not from my foot but from my heart. 

*ring*

"If you really cared for her you would do this... if you really love her like I think you do"

My eyes were struck with tears, I didn't have a choice. I reply. 

"Yeah, I guess"

I put the phone down in anger and laid there in silence when Pepper came to give me dinner, I didn't say a word. I think she thought she knew what was going on but no it was much worse than that. I stared at the ceiling - alone until I drifted into another nightmare

Michelle POV

Eve told us we were going to stay out all night after the beach- I liked that idea very much. I decided I would go to the bathroom and ring Peter after seeing about 1001 messages from him. I sat in a girls bathroom stall ringing and ringing but to no avail. 

"Come on loser!" I say to the voicemail. I didn't make sense. It was only 7 pm. Where was he? After all those messages.. seriously.

I went back out to the restaurant, just about finding the table we were sat at. I felt quite defeated. It was so silly how such a minute thing could ruin my day. 

"Everything ok, baby," my father says

"Yeah, Peter's not picking up through" I reply. 

"Oh what a shame, well just try and forget about it, you're always on your phone. We can make interesting conversation you know, maybe even better than your friends" he smiles