Chapter 14

Chapter 14

It was finally the day  I got to go home.  The nurses unhooked the IV and let me stand. Connor walked in and gave me some clothes.  A Connor Franta Tee, and a pair of pink sweatpants. I went into the bathroom and changed. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and braided it over my shoulder and put on my glasses. When I walked out Connor grabbed my hand and brought me out to the reception desk.

“Um, excuse me?  We’d like to check out.” Connor told the woman.

“Name please.”

“Kara Kartner.” I said my voice shaky and dry.

“And who is taking her?”

“Me. I’m her boyfriend, Connor Franta.”

“Let’s see. Yep, you’re a contact. I just need you to sign some papers and we’re all good here.” She handed Connor a two or three pages of paperwork, which he quickly filled out and we were on our way. He drove Ricky’s car down the road not saying a word, nor letting go of my hand. When we were back at the house, Connor parked and took the key out of the ignition. We sat in silence for about three minutes, until Connor spoke up.

“I don’t know what I would have done without you.” He said tracing circles on the back of my hand with his thumb.

“I do.” I said, my voice still shaky.  “You would have killed yourself Connor. And don’t you say you wouldn’t, because I have a source.” He looked at me in terror.

“Kara, you weren’t supposed to know that. Ricky told you didn’t he?” I nodded.

“Connor, my death would have been caused by me. And your death would have caused by me. Connor, I might as well have stabbed a knife through your neck. It’s like I would have murdered you. God damn it Connor, must you be so complicated.  If I would have died, I would have wanted you to have a good life. I would want you to find someone you’re happy with, and have children with them. I would want you to grow old and live life without someone like me to bring drama. You don’t want to love me, Connor. You take pity on my existence.” I spat out, tears forming in my eyes. I couldn’t look at him anymore. I turned my head away and looked out the window. Connor put a hand on my cheek and moved my head back in his direction.

“Kara don’t say that.” He was now cupping my chin with his hands. “I wish I knew how to show you how much I love you, but right now this is the best I can so.”  He leaned over and kissed my cheek. It felt perfect.  It felt just as magical as the first time we kissed in seventh grade while playing spin the bottle with some friends. “Did I make myself clear?”  I rapidly nodded. He got out of the car, walked over to the passengers side and opened my door. He took my hand and dragged me to the front door. When opened the door revealed the boys sitting in a circle on the floor, with Hannah leaning on Kian (Sorry Andrea!).  They all looked so sad over something so small like me. I hobbled through the door and all of their heads looked up at me. Hannah got on her feet and attacked me with a hug.

“Kara! Your back!”

“Hannah? I thought you were back in Minnesota! What are you doing here?”

“What kind of friend wouldn’t come to see her friend while she’s in a coma!? I’m just so glad you’re okay!” She yelled hugging me again, this time a little to hard around where my scars are. I scrunched my nose together and grabbed my side.

“Ow!” When she pulled away Kian took her hand and pulled her into a hug.

“Just be careful Hannah. She’s still recovering.” Tears welled up in her eyes as Kian pulled her closer.  “She will be okay. Everything will be alright.” He kissed her forehead and wiped away her tears.

“So I see you guys have gotten close.” I said raising one eyebrow. Kian laughed.

“Kara, may I have your blessing, to date your best friend?” He said bowing down in front of me. I giggled.

“Yes. You, Kian, have my blessing to date my best friend, Hannah.”  Hannah jumped into Kian’s arms and laughed.

“I’m so glad that you are okay with this!”

“Why wouldn’t I be? You two are adorable together!” I gave them both a hug at the same time while screaming “GROUP HUG!” When I pulled away all the boys were around me.

“YAAAASSS Kara! Slay!” Trevor yelled hugging my waist, him being significantly shorter than me.

“Nice to see you again too Trevor.” Then Jc came over and hugged me.

“Hey, I know you’re used to resorting to knives and razor blades when you’re upset, you can come to me. Okay?”

“Okay Jc.” Then Sam.

“Thank god the party girl is okay.”

“Well thanks Sam, I’m glad the party boy, didn’t die of party withdrawals.” Then Ricky came up to me. He pulled me close to him and whispered in my ear.

“It’s going to be so nice to have you back.” I smiled and got out of his grip to see Connor looking at us.

“Can talk to you quickly Kara?” I nodded and he grabbed my hand and pulled me into his bed room.  After he shut the door he started talking.  “Is there something going on between you and Ricky?”

“No Connor. Nothing is happening between me and Ricky.”

“Are you telling me the complete truth Kara?” I couldn’t stand lying to him, but I wouldn’t be able to handle seeing him and Ricky fight.

“Yes Connor, I’m telling the truth. I love you.”

“I love you too, and I’m sorry for accusing you.” He said kissing my forehead.

“It’s okay, Connor. It’s okay.”