Chapter 30 - Let's play

"I'm gonna take a shower." Deya hastily hopped out of the car once they arrived to the hotel. If she's lucky enough, Max will forget he ever wanted to talk.

Maybe it was one of the tough days, or perhaps it was because of her father's words. Nonetheless, it was the first time in three years that she gave herself the luxury of hot shower.

The only sounds echoing in the bathroom were the droplets of water cascading down her body and the girl's undertone humming of Gloomy Sunday.

Even though it was technically Saturday, the song seemed fitting. The meeting with her father filled her chest with melancholy. They got to embrace each other after three miserable and long years and who knows when the opportunity will repeat itself.

Seeing him again shattered the protection the lies she told others (and eventually ended up believing herself) have provided. My parents are dead. This became her reality. But perhaps she was just protecting her own conscience so she wouldn't have to admit the truth. That she abandoned him, like the coward she is.

And now?

Even if she decided to stay, there is the bitter knowledge that she's too damaged to fit in. How could she? Max's lies portrayed her as the golden child, who easily recovered from the tragedy, successfully graduated, and found a long-term partner. He couldn't have been farther from truth.

"Gloomy is Sunday.... With shadows I spend it all... My heart and I... Have decided...To end it all.. Soon there'll be flowers... and prayers said, I know... Let them not weep... Let them know... That I'm glad to go...." As she sang the lyrics, she couldn't help but compare it to her life. The song is beautiful and tragic at the same time. But in her life? It seems the two are clearly separated by the accident.

The girl's puckered fingertips turned the faucet off, before she dried herself and covered her body with the towel. The idea of sleep suddenly seemed appealing.

Still humming the song, she walked back into the room and fished out her pyjamas from the duffel bag on the bed. In one swift move, the towel was dropped to the floor and she pulled the pyjama top over her head.

She felt too exhausted to search the bag for underwear, and the lace pieces Max picked out probably wouldn't give her much comfort anyway. Her movements stopped shortly as she contemplated the situation.

Egh, Fuck it.

Slipping the shorts on, she was surprised to find the lack of underwear impressively comfortable. With the newly found sensation, the girl plopped herself on the bed.

And then the funniest thing happened.

Once she propped her head on one of the puffy pillows, the bathroom door fell into her field of vision, and there, leaned on the wall right next to them, stood Max in all his glory.

Instantly, her body froze. How long is he standing there? Why didn't he say anything? Did he see me.. OMG!

Crimson covered her cheeks as the awkwardness of the situation dawned on her. This can't be happening!

The devil's satisfied smirk made her insides twitch in humiliation. Yep, he's definitely seen it all.

Not seeing any other option, her hand grabbed the edge of the duvet and threw it over her head in an attempt to hide from the cruel reality.

Kill. Me. Now.

His amused chuckle echoed through the room. "Going commando, are we?"

"Shut up.." The girl growled in response, glad he couldn't see how red her face turned. "What do you want?"