CHAPTER 10: New Partner

JON

I didn't mean to leave Evangeline before she woke up but I got a call from my boss and she needed for me to meet up with a woman from the agency named Wendi who recently graduated the highest in her class and just recently passed all the requirements in becoming a spy. 

Wendi was around the same age as me and had short black hair, wore little amount of makeup and looked like she's be a spy. So that's who I had to wake up early to meet up with and go over the file for Evangeline that I have been wanting to postpone for a little while longer in looking at it but I know I can't. My boss recently has emailed me telling me the severity of me finding the flash drive before another agency gets involved. They're our rivalries and work for our enemies. 

I waited for Wendi to arrive for almost an hour at a restaurant a half an hour away from where the beach houses are that we're staying at. I don't want Evangeline to see me talking to Wendi and getting the idea that her and I are together when we aren't and the last thing I want to do is hurt Evangeline because I really am interested in her and want to be with her. 

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear a young female's voice say my name as she approaches me. 

"Jon?" She asks. 

"Wendi?" I ask her as I stand to shake her hand. 

"Yes." She smiles as she shakes my hand. "It's nice to meet you." 

"You too." I tell her. 

"Did you order?" She asks. 

"Not yet." I reply. 

"Aw you're so sweet." She smiles and then raises her hand in the air and calls over a waiter. 

"May I take your guys' order?" The waiter comes over and asks. 

We give our orders to him and the moment he walks away, I get ready to say something but Wendi beats me to it. 

"So, I want to start off by saying that I have been put up to speed about everything and I do mean everything. In case you don't know what I mean, I'm talking about you being involved with the person we're needing to get the flash drive from." She smirks. 

I'm in shock. How the hell did she know?

"What makes you say that?" I ask trying to play it off and taking a drink of water. 

"Please, we both know that a good spy does more than read a file that the agency filled up with 'all' the information on someone. I like gathering my own information on anyone I'm working with." She tells me. 

"I'm impressed." I smirk at her. 

"Oh yeah?" She smiles back at me. 

"Yeah. It's nice to know that we both think alike. Because I've done the same about you and found out that you got married to somebody who you met from another agency while you were training to get into our training system. He cheated on you, you both divorced and you live alone now with a cat in a small studio apartment." I tell her. 

"Very good." She smiles. 

"I like to think I am." I tell her. 

"Well, how about the information on Evangeline? Did you read everything on the flash drive?" She asks me. 

"I did. Just a couple of hours ago actually. I woke up early and before coming here had taken a look." I tell her. 

"And? What did you find?" 

"That for the most part, she has lived a normal life. She never knew that her dad was a spy and the reason he left her. I haven't asked her much about him but..." She stops me. 

"You don't want to push it because you care a lot about her." She blurts out. 

"Yeah." I admit. 

"Well, don't worry, your secret is safe with me. However, we need to remember that she is also part of this operation and we need to keep that in mind or else things can go bad." She tells me. 

"I know." I assure her. 

"So, what happens now, should I stay in a hotel or in your beach house and you introduce me as your cousin?!" She asks.

I think about it for a moment and then decide that she has a point. We do need to work together and since we can't pretend to be a couple, this will be the best way to keep us able to work together and not have our agency become suspicious between me and Evangeline and also not to have Evangeline think the wrong thing about us. 

"Alright. I'll introduce you to them." I tell her. 

"Great." She smiles. 

We finish talking half about the mission and the other half, stuff to get to know each other. Then I take her over towards the beach house and hope that I can introduce her to Evangeline. Except that when I headed over, I saw she wasn't there and I tried texting her after I went upstairs into my room and grabbed my personal cell phone that I gave her the number to because for obvious reasons I can't give her the one I have had on me all day long, that's for work. 

Right as I get ready to text Evangeline, my friend comes into my room and asked me about Wendi. 

"Bro, there's a hot ass girl downstairs." He says. 

I start to laugh. 

"Yeah, that's my cousin, Wendi. Want me to introduce you guys?" I ask him. 

"Hell yeah man." He says. 

Me and him both head downstairs and I introduce the both of them. The way they're looking at each other I can tell that something sparked. Which is good because he needs his ass to be kicked into the town of maturity and she's just the right person to do it too. So this should be entertaining for me. 

I decided to head out and try to look for Evangeline since my phone was still charging but couldn't find her. 

Then once I got back to the beach house, I had noticed both my friend and Wendi were all dressed to get ready to go out to a club most likely.

"Hey man. You wanna go with us to meet up with Joseph, Payton, Evangeline and the others?" He asks me.

"What? They all are out at a club?" I asked surprised because I thought I heard Evangeline tell me that she didn't like going out that much. "Yeah." I tell him. "Just give me fifteen minutes." Then I quickly sprint my way upstairs to take a shower and get ready. Damn I have missed her all day. I bet she has been feeling the same way also. 

When we arrived, my friend went to the bathroom while both Wendi and I approached the bar and ordered a couple of drinks. We began talking and she was telling me a joke  that was pretty funny but, I began looking out on the dance floor for Evangeline but couldn't see her. I hope we're in the right place. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)