CHAPTER 17: Goodbye, Not Goodnight

JON

Evangeline and her dad have been talking for a few hours and I'm really glad that he's alive and she has gotten to see him. However, I begin to think how he has found us and why he is even here. 

Yeah he's my role model and has been a great influence and inspiration to us all, especially his wife but why now? Why has he been hiding and WHAT has he been hiding?

Joseph, Payton and the rest of my friends were hanging out in the living room, watching something and I decided to join them while waiting for Evangeline and her dad to finish talking.

When they came inside, they were laughing and had walked into the living room where we were at. 

"Hey, um, my dad is gonna be staying with us here for a little bit." Evangeline tells us. 

We all agree that's a good idea and he then suggests we grill some steaks and that him and I go to the store. 

I felt a bit nervous and not so much because of who he was as a spy (although that doesn't help my nerves knowing he can break me in half with probably just using his finger) but that he happens to be the dad of the woman I'm in love with. 

So we took my truck and the drive to the store felt a little bit awkward and was silent. Then as soon as we got into the store, I became more nervous as he began to talk. 

"So, how long have you been a spy?" He asks. 

"For five years, Sir." I reply as I grab some chips and put it in the cart. 

"Please, Mr. Keaton." He says again as he holds up his hand. 

"Right. I forgot." I chuckled to myself. 

"So I'd like to first of all discuss with you that I know all about you and my daughter and I should probably be threatening you and doing the overprotective dad thing but, I can tell you're a great guy. Just don't hurt her." He tells me with pain in his eyes. 

"I promise I won't." I look at him with certainty. 

"Good." He smiles while grabbing some steaks. 

On our way back from the store he started talking to me about his idea in what he thinks we should do about what's going on. He also told me that Evangeline never had the flash drive, he still does and starts going over his idea and plan for it. While telling me about it, I couldn't believe what he was suggesting and we both knew how it would effect Evangeline but he said he had to do it and that he feels it's the only way. 

However, the moment we pull up in the driveway, he tells me not to mention it to Evangeline and to wait for the right time but for now, we need to just enjoy ourselves tonight. I agreed and we got out and headed inside before beginning to make dinner. 

Throughout the whole night, we all were laughing so hard that it hurt from all the crazy stories he was telling us. It seemed like things were going great. Then after everyone fell asleep, Evangeline gave me a kiss on the lips and hugged her dad as they said goodnight to each other. 

It was hard watching them say goodnight because while she was thinking he was meaning it literally, I knew he was really saying goodbye to her. I told her I'd be up in a minute and was just going to talk some more with her dad. 

I could see the pain in his eyes as the tears began to form while he watched his daughter go upstairs. 

"I need for you to do me a favor." He begins to tell me as he turns and pulls out a flash drive as he hands it to me. "I need for you to take this flash drive to a friend of mine." He begins while also handing me a piece of paper with the address on it. 

"Burn this after you've put it into your GPS or whatever you use. My friend's name is Marvin. He is expecting you and my daughter in two weeks." He tells me. 

"How far away is he?" I ask. 

"He's actually in Venice. You will have everything you need and when you get there, he will also give you something that I left for Evangeline." He says and then starts walking towards the door. 

"Wait, where are you going?" I ask him. 

"I'm ending this once and for all." He tells me. 

"But what about staying and building a relationship with your daughter again?"

"That's your job now. I love her so much that this is the only way." 

"I understand." I tell him before holding out my hand and we shake. "It was an honor to meet you Mr. Keaton." 

"The honor was all mine." He smiles and leaves. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)