Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE 

Bryan pulled over at the park and they both went in. Ella was surprised to find Dylan standing beside a well laid out table for two. She glanced back at Bryan.

"Before you think of chopping my head off I think you two should talk. You should hear what he has to say." Bryan told her and then he was gone, leaving the two of them. Ella swallowed nervously and felt butterflies take flight in her stomach. She took a deep breath before she covered the space between them and they were face to face. Their gazes locked and held.

"Thank you for coming." Dylan pulled out a chair for her.

"This is nice." She commented.

"I'm glad you like it." Ella wasn't surprised to find seafood staring back at her, it reminded her of the first dinner they had together.

"Happy Birthday Ella. I got you something." he handed her a little box. Ella opened it and found a sapphire starfish pendant on a silver chain and she thought the jewellery was beautiful. "May i?"

Ella nodded and he took the necklace from the box and put it around her neck deliberately prolonging the moment.

"Thank you."

"I want you to have this." Dylan handed her an envelope.

"What's this?"

"It's an account I opened in your name after we got married, I wanted it to be a surprise." he explained. "Every month you get an allowance of a hundred thousand."

"Why would you do something like that?" Ella was confused.

"Everything I have is yours Ella and before you think that i'm trying to buy you off I would like you to know that it's nothing of the sort."

"But I signed a pre nup." She argued.

"I made you believe you signed a pre-nup." Dylan explained. "The contract no longer exists by the way."

"How do you mean?"

"I got rid of it." he simply said and didn't bother to elaborate leaving Ella to read between the lines. So what he was invariably implying was that she could walk away from their marriage anytime she chooses and wouldn't have to wait a minimum of ten months as stipulated in the contract.

Dylan was finally giving her the freedom she'd always wanted.

Dare she take it now?

"If you choose to walk away you'll still get the monthly allowance."

"I can't accept that, it's too much." Ella protested.

"Look Ella, I make enough money I might not be able to finish spending in this life time. Just take it."

Ella was going to protest but she had a feeling he was done talking about it.

"Would you like to dance?"

Ella took his hand and as he pulled her close she sighed softly. It felt nice being here in his arms as they glided to the music. The music was a soft romantic ballad that slowly sank into her like a light cool breeze on a sunny day and then all of a sudden, they both became aware of each other as they held each other's gaze. Dylan pulled her closer still. His gaze dropped to her cherry lips and he leaned slightly in, he waited for her to protest, he stared into her eyes for approval and she met him midway.

The kiss was slow and passionate, each wanted to savour the moment, the feeling. When they pulled apart Dylan said.

"I love you Ella and i'm never going to stop loving you. You don't have to say anything right now give me your answer when you return from Paris i'll be right here waiting and whatever you decide i'll be with you all the way."

Ella smiled in spite of herself. "Thank you Dylan.

"Now unto the fun part." he grinned. Ella was thrilled at the fireworks that exploded into the night sky right then. She wanted to scream her love for him but she decided that maybe he was right, that she needed more time.

Ella felt like crying as her family said goodbye to her at the airport but she needed to remind herself that she was doing it for them all. Bryan, Ethan and Dominic were there to say goodbye and Ella kept glancing around to see if she would get one last look at Dylan before she left but he never showed up, she simply swallowed her disappointment and boarded the plane.