EPISODE 21

There

There...
There it was.
The building you'd been waiting to find for so long now. You couldn't believe that you were actually here.
Standing in front of the warehouse – a grand warehouse made of grey toned bricks, no windows nor any doors; only big gates that seemed to could go up and down like a garage door: It was the best feeling in the world, but... the worst at the same time. How many Monsters had died in there? Or more like been killed in there. Innocent Monsters. Okay, maybe not entirely innocent; they killed humans. But it wasn't all of them. And that organization just killed them no matter if they were innocent or not.

"Hey... Are you okay?" Kris asked you, interrupting your thoughts.

"Yeah... It's just tough, you know. Being here. EXO are right behind those walls – Closer than ever to dying. And it's my fault," you said, tears pressuring against your eyes.
"But now you're going to fix that. You have the chance to save them."
"Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they've suffered all this time... Because of me."
Kris' words were helpful, but they weren't enough to make your mind positive.
"Hey..." he said, putting his hand on your shoulder.
"If you save them... I'm sure they'll forgive you for what you've put them through."
He gave your shoulder a little shake and smiled, making you smile back.
"You're right. Thank you, Kris."
You dried your eyes and straightened your back to show that you were ready to go.
"Walk a bit around the building. There's a back entrance behind it. If you take that way, you won't be seen," Kris assured you before going.
You looked around and sighed.
The situation was already tough, and you were still standing outside the building. You could imagine how much worse it would be inside then.
"Well... Here I go," you said, turning your back to Kris and face towards the path that led behind the warehouse.
You took a step forward when Kris grabbed your hand.
"Wait!" he said.
You turned to face him again, hoping that he would join you in this dangerous situation you were about to get into. But unfortunately that wasn't why he stopped you. You looked down as he removed his grip of your hand, and reached into his pocket.
Out he took a little oval ball. What was that? And what was he doing?
"Here... Take this," he said, placing the little ball in your hand. You took a closer look at it and realized what it was: A pill.
"Uhm... What's it for?"
"It's something I've been working on. It's to protect you from Monsters."
"Monsters? But I'm about to walk into a building with even more dangerous people than Monsters."
"You don't know if any of the Monsters in there are entirely sane. If anything happens, this will protect you."
He pointed at the pill in your hand and you took another look at it. You weren't sure about this... Since you'd been forced to take that memory removal pill by the men, you were kind of scared of pills.
"Uhm... Thanks. I'll take it as soon as I'm inside," you said, turning around to walk away from him.
"Stop..." Kris said behind you, but this time not grabbing your hand.
You could've just walked away... But you didn't. There was something about that made you keep listening.
"What now?" you said, a little frustrated as he knew that you had to hurry.
"You need to take it now," he said after which he reached behind his back and pulled out a bottle of water. Where had he kept that?
He walked over to give it to you, at the same time sending you a smirk.
"Why?" you asked as he handed it to you.
It needs a few minutes to work properly. If you take it now, there will be nothing to worry about. "
Nothing to worry about? Worry about what? You wanted to ask him what he meant by that, but you didn't have the time to do so.
"Okay, fine. I'll take it. But only because you said it'll protect me. Not because of you."
He chuckled by your comment.
You couldn't help but smile a bit yourself, but you immediately focused on the pill which you carefully placed on your tongue.
You opened the water, put it to your mouth and slowly counted to three in your head – You drank and felt the pill tumble down your throat.
"There. You' satisfied?" you asked Kris, giving him the water bottle back.
"Very," he said, repeating his smirk from earlier.
"Now. Get inside. You don't have all day, remember?" he said, teasingly.
"You were the one who kept me from going in!" you answered, annoyed.
"Yes. For a good purpose."
You knew that he was just trying to make fun with you, but this was not the time. This was a very serious situation.
You scoffed at his comment and turned to follow the path that led behind the building. But you stopped halfway there – There was one last thing you had to do.
"Thank you... I know I've said that a couple of times already, but I'm really glad you helped me. I wouldn't be here right now, if it wasn't for you," you said, facing Kris from a couple meters away.
"As much as I appreciate hearing those words of yours, you really have to go now. Hurry," he answered with a smile and a wave of his hand. His answer didn't sound rough at all – He was just concerned.
You looked at him one last time, before waving back; and then you ran. Ran behind the building, where you were relieved to see a big grey metal door with pasted-on-stickers saying "Exit." This was the back entrance.