17

-Chapter 17-

(Ulric’s pov)

I fought the urge to go comfort my mate as I heard him cry; but I knew I couldn't at this moment because this was a family matter. Boris told me about his gift during the movies. He had pulled me aside and asked if I could hold back, just for a little bit, so he could have this brotherly moment with Ash as they remembered their parents; even though Ash never truly knew them.

The living room was eerily silent as everyone sat still. My seven friends and their mates, except Shelly and Devon, looked at me with sympathy as they also heard my mate crying. My wolf howled at me to go to Ash, but I stayed put. Ash needed this moment, and I wasn't going to ruin it for him. His crying soon died down, and I could hear the two talking. After a moment or two, Boris walked into the living room, his face tear stained and he looked upset. I could understand why.

“Lovell went to bed.” He told me and sat in a rocking chair, running a hand through his hair. I bit my lip, wondering if I should go to Ash now. I decided to leave him alone for now, and turned to my friends.

“Ok, so you all know why I brought you here.” I started and everyone nodded. “After hearing about the legend once again and finding out about Ash’s dreams of this first born vampire, I believe it is necessary to guard my mate as this vampire is after him.”

“What are his dreams about?” Larry asked as he looked at me with his serious face, which was rare to see.

“About a man with red eyes who keeps calling my mate his beloved, and telling him that he will come for him.” I told them, and they all frowned as Boris growled. “This vampire will not get my mate, even if I have to give my life to protect him. I know it’s been a while since we've all been together like this, and I can understand how selfish I am being at this moment; but I ask that you all help me protect my mate.” I trialed off as I looked around the room full of my friends.

Starla stood up and walked over to me. She gathered me in a hug and I hugged back. Starla was one of my oldest friends, our friendship dating all the way back to preschool. She was a great comfort to me, and at one point I even hoped she was my mate, but I’m glad she wasn't. I wouldn't trade Ash for anything. He was my world and I was going to do anything to keep him save and happy. “I don’t think your being selfish at all, Ulric. In fact, I believe you’re not being selfish enough. This is your mate we’re talking about.” She pulled back and smiled at me. “I really like Ash. He suits you to the core, and I’ll help you.” She then turned to the rest and put her hands on her hips. “So I’m in on this. Who’s jumping with me?”

Everyone stood and nodded, cursing vampires and pledging their loyalty. The sight made me smile and I thanked them all. “So how are we going to do this?” Jarric asked, and I looked at him. “We can’t all stay here. There’s not enough room and I’m sure Ash’s parents would start to wonder what was going on. Not only that, but we all still have our own lives to tend to; not saying I’m not all up to help, but we just found something out today.” Jarric smiled as he laid a hand on his mate’s belly. My eyes grew wide and I smiled.

“You’re going to be a father?!”Dexter gasped, waking Devon in the process as he fell off the couch.

“What, huh, who’s going to be a father?” He asked as he sat up rubbing his eyes.

“Jarric is, they found out to day.” Deter explained as he smiled.

“Which one is Jarric, I forgot.” Devon asked as he looked around and everyone laughed.

“Congrads.” I told Jarric as I slapped him on the back. “How far along?”

“Three weeks.” Layla smiled at me and I smiled back.