20

-Chapter twenty-

(Ash’s pov)

I stared down at my food as everyone chatted around me. The table in the kitchen wasn’t big enough to hold everyone, so we all sat in the living room. My mom had turned on the radio, but kept it down so we could all still talk, not that I was talking very much. There was only Starla, Zane, Devon, Dexter, Boris, Ulric, Larry, Royce, Samuel, and my parents here with me. Larry and Samuel showed up just as we we’re all getting ready to eat. Dad had complained about having so kids in his house twenty-four-seven, but didn’t say they couldn’t say. Michel had been picked up by his dad earlier today, and I felt so bad about not saying bye to him, or even hanging with him at all. There was just so much going on right now and didn’t have time. Nice best friend I am, right?

Everyone laughed around me at a joke Dexter just cracked, and I smiled slightly as Ulric laughed next to me. It was nice to hear him laugh. He had this deep belly laugh, like a bear, and it was so cheery and wonderful. I could listen to it forever, and I planned to. I sighed and looked at my food. I had barely token three bites of my Sloppy Joe and I still had a pile of fries asking me to eat them. I picked one up and stuck it in my mouth, chewing it slowly.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see Royce. I still wasn’t too happy with him, so gave him a slight glare. He flinched slightly and asked quietly, “Can we talk?”

“Yeah, sure.” I stood up and we walked out into the hallway. I turned to him and he stared down at the floor for a moment before looking back up at me.

“I’m sorry Ash, for everything I said. I didn’t mean it, I just kind of freaked when I heard about you being…you know. You know how I get in situations like that.”

“Yeah, I do.” I said. “And I’m sorry for slapping you.”

“No, it’s ok. I think I deserved that.” Royce gave me a small smile, then asked, “So will you forgive me?”

I looked at him for a moment before nodding. “Yeah, I forgive you.” Royce smiled and we hugged before walking back into the living room and sitting back down next to Ulric. I picked up my Sloppy Joe and took a bite, feeling a little better. Ulric nudged me with his elbow and I looked at him.

“Is everything alright?” he asked and I nodded at him. He gave me a small smile before engaging in the conversation again. I tried to catch up but gave up after a moment, just focused on eating my food now that I had some of my appetite back. After everyone one was done eating, I helped my mom pass out left over cake from my birthday as desert. It was just as good now as it was before. I was craving chocolate like no tomorrow, and I’m pretty sure it had to do with the baby.

Once everyone was done, I helped out with cleaning in the kitchen and we all gathered back into the living room after that to watch a movie. Devon was hovering over the movie case with Royce, trying to pick out a move. I sat in Ulric’s lap biting my lip, thinking that this was the perfect time to ‘break to egg shell’ Ulric put it. I leaned against him and whispered, “It’s now or never.”

“Yeah.” Ulric sighed out and I slipped out of his lap as he stood. We moved so that we were now standing in front of the TV. “Um hey, we have an announcement to make.” Everyone looked at us and I noticed my dad looking sternly over me as if he knew what we were going to say.

I shifted on my feet and looked down at the floor. “I’m pretty sure all of the werewolves in this room know by now because of my sent, so this is more for the human part of my family.” I glanced at my mom and dad, and my mom gave me a smile. I bit my lip again and looked at Ulric, who nodded for me to continue. I took a deep breath. “Well, there’s really no way of softening it up, so I’m just going to tell you straight out. Mom, dad…I’m…I’m…pregnant.” I mumbled out the last few words and it was quite for a moment.