22

-Chapter twenty-two-

(Unknown pov)

I stood at the edge of the mutt’s territory, looking around for any scouts. When I didn’t see any, I turned to the five others I had chosen to accompany me here. “Stay close behind me and don’t let yourselves be seen. Do not attack until I give the signal.” The five nodded their heads and we jumped into the trees.

(Ash’s pov)

My fears sky rocketed as we trotted closer and closer to the pack house. When we finally reached it, I was shaking with fear for Ulric, and even Lance! Jarric and Layla were there waiting for us with clothes. Just a pair of shorts for each of us boys, and some undergarments and an outfit for Starla. Once we all shifted, Starla behind a tree, I fallowed Ulric and Lance inside and back to their father’s office. Ulric slammed the door open, making the Alpha and beta jump, startled.

“Father, I challenge you to an alpha battle.” Ulric said straight out, not wasting anytime. The beta looked alarmed, but not in any way surprised. The Alpha just stood and placed his hands on his desk.

“Are you sure, my sorry excuse for a son? I won’t hesitate to snap that neck of yours.” The Alpha gave an evil smile which made me cringe.

“I also challenge you, dad.” Lance said quietly. The Alpha turned his evil smile onto him.

“Fine, I don’t mind killing you both. Neither of you is of use to me. I can easily have another child or pass down the alpha title to someone else. All I need…” The Alpha raised his hand and pointed at me. “…Is him.”

I gulped. My ears pinned themselves to my head and my tail tucked itself between my legs. Ulric pushed me behind him, screaming, “You will never touch my mate, or even look at him again! I will kill you, father!”

“Let’s just see you try.” The Alpha laughed like a mad man, and he pushed past us all to lead the way outside. We all fallowed Ulric fuming, Lance nevus, the beta strangely calm, and me shaking with worry and fear; fear for my mate’s life. I wanted to stop this, but could I? I believe Ulric is right when he says his father will just keep coming back, the man is mad enough to; but should it really come down to this?

We all walked outside and I stood on the porch with the others, going to stand next to Boris, who put a comforting hand on my shoulder. The Alpha, Ulric, and Lance walked out into the large space of grass between the pack house and the woods and the Alpha smiled. “There will be no rules, other than no one else may join the fight or interfere. Let this began!”

The three shifted and I swallowed. The alpha was pure black, like Ulric, and also a lot bigger than Ulric too. Lance’s small dark gray wolf looked like a puppy compared to the alpha. Lance and Ulric began to circle the alpha, growling and snapping at him. The Alpha made a weird gargling noise in the back of his throat, almost like a chuckle, and lunged toward Lance. Lance yelped and jumped away just in time. The commotion had gathered the attention of the rest of the pack, and others were starting to gather around. It wasn’t long before there was a huge crowd.

The alpha continued to lung at his two sons, and just liked planed, Ulric and Lance only dodged for now. Before I knew it, a half hour had already passed and the Alpha still didn’t show any times of tiring. ‘Is this all your going to do?!’ The alpha shouted through the mind link. ‘Dodge me? Fight you pathetic wolfs!’ Ulric chose this chance to lung at his father. His teeth dug into the alpha’s back left leg, making him howl in pain and whip around snapping at Ulric. Ulric was able to jump away before he got any injury.

The alpha was limping now, but he didn’t stop trying to snap the heads off his sons. Lance ended up too close and the alpha was able to catch his side with his paw. Lance howled out in agony as the four gashes started to gush blood. I gripped Boris’s arm in a panic and swallowed hard. Lance stumbled over to the outskirts of the clearing, next to the forest, and collapsed. Without thinking, I rushed quickly across the field while Ulric had the Alpha distracted, and fell to my knees next to Lance. He was still breathing, but unconscious, and he wounds were still bleeding at an alarming rate. Another person fell at my side and I looked to see it was Lance’s mate, Carrie. She had an armful of rags and I quickly took them from her, pressing them to Lance’s wounds.