9

Aomine's brow furrowed when he read Kagami's text. They didn't often text each other unless something was wrong. So if Kagami had seen Kuroko and Akashi, then it couldn't have been in the friendly way that Kuroko would have him believe.

He hadn't even gotten Kagami's text when he'd sent it. He'd been in his classes all day and only just gotten back to his apartment. He texted Kuroko. Since Kagami had sent that text around noon, surely Kuroko had to be alone now that it was after five in the evening.

"Hey, Tetsu. Want to do dinner tonight?" He started with a normal text, he didn't want Kuroko to think that he didn't trust him.

Aomine kept his phone out and started doing his studying before he had to go to work for the night. He sat alone in his apartment for hours. Kuroko never texted him back. Now that it was already 8 and getting late for dinner, Aomine texted Kuroko again. "Do you want to just come over instead?"

He put his books away and got changed into the last blue button up shirt he had that wasn't irreparably stained. He put his phone and wallet in his pockets and headed out of his apartment and towards the bar. It was only a ten minute walk, but he was still constantly checking his phone. Silence from Kuroko.

He went into the bar staff room and called Kuroko. It went straight to voicemail, it didn't even ring. He swallowed hard, what was going on? Was Kuroko okay? "Hey Tetsu, call me back as soon as you get this, I'm getting really worried about you. Call me."

"Aomine! We need you at the bar." One of his coworkers came into the staff room and called for him.

He nodded and shoved his phone back into his pocket. He walked back into the bar. Luckily, he was known for being kind of surly, so he didn't even pretend to look happy, especially when he didn't remotely feel happy.

Aomine struggled through his shift. He tried to ignore his phone, but he couldn't help noticing how his phone never vibrated to signal that he got any sort of message. It was after 1am by the time he finished his shift. First thing he did was check his phone. No messages at all.

He texted Kuroko again. "Tetsu, where are you?"

He walked back down the empty streets to his apartment. As soon as he was in the apartment alone, he crashed on his bed, holding his phone in his hand.

It didn't help that the next day was Saturday. They could be alone together, spending time in each other's arms, but instead Kuroko was with Akashi, doing who knows what.

Aomine woke up late Saturday morning. His phone was still in his hand. He rubbed his eyes and scrolled through messages on his phone. Random notifications about emails for classes, and a text from Kagami. Was Kuroko purposely avoiding him? Since Kagami had only asked if he'd gotten in touch with Kuroko, Aomine texted back to tell him that he hadn't been able to yet.

He called Kuroko again. No answer. He tried two more times before Kuroko finally picked up.

"Aomine-kun?"

Aomine's brow instantly furrowed. Why did Kuroko suddenly stop using his first name? This was not good. "Tetsu, where are you? I've been worried. You didn't respond to me at all yesterday."

"Do I have to text you every day, Daiki-kun?" Kuroko said it like he was trying to make up for having forgotten when he first answered.

"Well excuse me for being worried!" He couldn't keep from snapping. He did not like Kuroko's reaction to him at all.

"I'm sorry, Daiki-kun." Kuroko paused like he was trying to think of what to say next. "I... had to go home urgently. My mother... she has been taken ill."

Aomine immediately felt bad for being upset with Kuroko. "Do you want me to join you, I'll be there with you."

"No, Daiki-kun." Kuroko's response was so immediate. "It would be a bother for you. I'll have to be home for the whole week."

"It wouldn't be a bother!" Aomine was almost insulted with how Kuroko thought so little of him. "I want to be there with my boyfriend in difficult times like this."

"I'll be fine, Daiki-kun." Kuroko insisted and before Aomine could say anything, he hung up.

Aomine was completely stunned. He didn't think Kuroko would shut him out like that. He was in shock.

[AN: thoughts so far? what do you think of Kuroko's lie?]