thirteen ;

just as jae promised, he bought us matching hats. they were a dark blue with the english word 'promise' stitched on it with white stitching. the masks were plain black masks. jae said that they were boring and we were going to make them our own when we got back at the dorm.

it was five in the evening, so there wasn't much we could do. we needed to be home by nine, so we had four hours to mess around. though, i felt bad because i left emily without saying a word. i figured i could shoot her a text later on tonight, so i made a reminder on my phone to do so in a few days.

"what do you want to do first?" jae asked.

we were still in the car. "um--"

"have you gone mini-golfing?"

"of course i have. wait, can we go right now?"

jae scoffed, "why else did i ask you? mini-golfing here we come!"

in a few minutes, we arrived at the mini-golfing place. "only for maybe an hour though, because i want to show you something that i think you'll like," jae said as he rented the golf balls and golf clubs.

i bounded toward the first hole and bounced on my heels waiting for jae.

"riah, heads up!" i looked to see the club flying at me and i stuck a hand out to catch it. i glared at jae, who was casually strolling towards me and laughing. "you're lucky i caught that."

"not like you would've done anything."

i rolled my eyes. "ladies first, riah," he said, gesturing to the hole a few feet away from us.

"exactly why you're going first." at first, i don't think he realized what i said, but when it finally sank in his head, he narrowed his eyes.

"of course." true to his word, as usual (which i admire greatly), he hits the ball first and-

"dang it!" the ball slightly grazed pass the hole and jae threw the club down in rage. i giggled, getting ready for my turn. "don't worry, jae. i'm going to do worse."

with slight force, i hit the ball and surprisingly, it fell into the opening.

"do worse, my butt," jae grumbled, already moving to the next hole. i burst into hard laughter, i struggled to walk to where jae was. "i am so sorry, but i honestly thought i was going to miss! it was luck, i swear!" it was hard to breathe. "whoo, okay, i'm calm now."

well, i thought i was. one look at jae's sad eyes made me start laughing all over again. "riah!"

"sorry, sorry! i'm done, swear!" nope, i wasn't. i couldn't stop laughing. jae's pout was adorable but so weird to see, coming from park jaehyung towards me.

after i finally sober up from laughing too hard, jae was on the fake grass, spinning the club above him. "done?"

"yes, i am. and i suggest you hit the ball before i start laughing again."

for the next hour and a half, i got lucky and jae, um, did not. he was whining every time he missed and hiding behind me when other people looked at us. i could just imagine what they're thinking when they see two young adults with matching hats and masks with a 6-foot tree hiding behind the short one.

"jae, i'm sorry. forgive me?" he glanced at me and stomped away. this bitch, using his damned cuteness. well, i don't like acting cute, but i have something else up my sleeve.

when we were safe in his car, we were freed from the sweat-filled hats and suffocating masks. "i'll buy you lobster," i offered. i looked at him and i could tell he was contemplating it. "jae, it's okay. i'm not broke. so let me buy you some lobster!"