Nine

I opened my heavy eyes the next morning and sat up, with a slight grunt, blinking a few times before sighing, upset that the events of my brother's death, and the death of my sister in law, were just terrible nightmares.

My eyes widened when I realized I never woke up, not even once last night to check on Mason. I jumped out of bed and bounced out of my room, into Mason's.

I looked around in confusion when I saw a room, filled, looking like a normal, well-prepared nursery.

There was a wooden rocking chair with red and yellow cushions in the corner furthest from Mason's bassinet. Between the door and the rocking chair was a little wooden changing table with a yellow mat for him to lay on while being changed. In the middle of the wooden floor was a large, round rug with an animated giraffe on it. Below the newly curtained window was a white shelf with cubbies, each one designated for something. One for diapers, one for wipes, another for fresh receiving blankets, some for stuffed animals, some for teething toys and cute little shoes.

I grinned, knowing exactly who was behind this adorable little set-up.

I turned around and darted down the stairs, to the kitchen, where I expected Toni to be. I grinned brightly when I saw her standing near the kitchen sink, looking out the window just beyond it. I could see a little head of red hair peeking out from the end of her arm, telling me she was feeding him. She was rocking side to side, singing to him a song I'd heard before many times.

"Isn't he lovely? Isn't he wonderful?" She turned around while still looking at Mason, allowing me to see a big smile on her face as she looked at him. She wasn't feeding him, just looking at him, singing and smiling as he looked up at her. "His name is Maaaasooooon." She closed her eyes, head coming up as she shook it. She opened her eyes, meeting them with me for a moment. Her smile grew when she saw me, and she rocked her way up to me, reaching out her free left hand for me to take in my own left, where she spun me around slowly, pulling me further into the kitchen. She kept singing softly, prompting me to shake my hips in time for a little bit before she stopped singing. I moved behind her, not disconnecting our hands as I wrapped my arms around her waist. Our left hands went to her stomach softly, my right hand holding onto my left to rest there. I rested my chin on her shoulder and just looked on as Mason's eyes began to close.

"I saw what you did with the nursery." I hummed, turning my head to kiss her cheek, not moving my lips from her skin, just sitting there.

"I called Kevin and asked him to take over for the day so you could sleep in. I grabbed Mason and we went to the store to get some things together. I even made you some chicken, rice and beans, and put them in some containers, so that if you get hungry and don't have time to cook, you can just microwave one of the containers." She said with a sense of accomplishment, "I have three bottles in the fridge, made and ready to be heated up for when he wakes up, ready for one right away." she placed him in a little bouncing chair that sat in the middle of the island, stripping him in and covering him with a blue blanket.

She turned to me and looped her hands around my waist, kissing me deeply for a quick moment, pulling away with a smile.

"It's one in the afternoon. I was gonna wake you up at ten, but you looked so peaceful, I couldn't bare to do it." She looked down sheepishly, and I couldn't help but lean in for another kiss. "Josie and Veronica want to come visit, see the baby, talk about some stuff, it that's okay." Toni continued, and I shrugged.

"They're welcome to come over anytime." I assured, before looking down to her again. "You too, you know that, right?" She snorted at me.

"I do anyway." She reminded, having a point.